Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My favorites to read during pregnancy are: Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin, Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way by Susan McCutcheon, and I also like to look through baby naming books like The Baby Name Wizard.

What are your favorites?

·
Registered
986 Posts
Right now I have A Child is Born, The Sears Pregnancy Book, Birthing From Within, and Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. I love them all! I probably won't buy more until later, when I'll buy the Sears baby book and nursing book. I already have LLLs breastfeeding book too.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
This is quite a list, but I love to read
. I've gotten most of these out of the library, but will buy some too. Here are my favorites so far:

Your Vegetarian Pregnancy

The Complete Organic Pregnancy

Active Birth : The New Approach to Giving Birth Naturally

Gentle Birth Choices

Birth Your Way

Birth Without Violence

Childbirth Without Fear

Painless Childbirth: An Empowering Journey Through Pregnancy and Childbirth

Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Newborn: The Complete Guide

The Complete Book of Pregnancy and Childbirth

HypnoBirthing: The Mongan Method

The Birth Partner

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth

The Pregnancy Book (Sears Parenting Library)

The Birth Book (Sears Parenting Library)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I really like "What's Going On In There?" by Lise Eliot. It's not so much a pregnancy book, as a book about how babies' minds develop from the first trimester all the way through age 5 (I'm still in the first 1/3 of the book so mostly in utero info so far). Lot's of studies about the benefits of breast feeding, and fascinating information about why scientists and formula makers are so baffled by trying to imitate the real thing, and how much breast milk improves IQ.
Really interesting time lines of sensory development in the brain too.... when each sense develops in the womb, and why most of the initial learning happens through touch because it's one of the most acute senses at first (so cuddle that baby!
).
I haven't finished it yet, but already I highly recommend it (especially if you're the .... errrr.... nerdy type, like me
)

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Oh I seriously need to hit the library, but I told myself I couldn't until my finals were done, otherwise, I'll spend all the time reading pregnancy books instead of studying. I did read one book over Thanksgiving break though, it was Baby Catcher by Peggy Vincent. It's a collection of birth stories mostly, written by a woman who started out in nursing school in the 60s and became a homebirth midwife in the 80s. You should be warned there are a couple of stories of loss in there (both early and late/birth). I found it fascinating enough to read in 3 days. The stories from the 60s hospital were crazy!

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.