Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DD is constipated recently (9.5 months old and just getting into solid foods) and the ped said to make sure she gets 3 oz of water a day on top of her BM (which I BF her on demand all day and night but she's so into crawling now that she drinks less than she used to cause she wants to just get back on the floor and get into things.) Do you think that's good advice about the water? She's been going a week between poops and they are super hard when they come out and make her cry.

I can't really get her to drink that much water. She doesn't know how to work a sippy cup yet, so I've been trying to get her to drink from a shot glass or spoon feed water, but I only get about 1/2 an oz in that way.

Also, what foods to avoid? We are now avoiding BRAT diet stuff like rice, apples, and bananas (she's not had wheat yet so toast isn't an option anyway.) And also avoiding cooked carrots (I saw this on another website that it can cause constipation. We also are avoiding large amounts of meat and eggs but that's sad because she really loves meat.

I've been giving her 1 tsp ground flax seeds (I grind them myself) a day (should I do more?) And also I bought organic prune juice and mixed it 1:2 with water. She doesn't love it that much, she drinks a few sips. I'd like to make her prune puree but I am not sure how to do it?

So we are left with basically just veggies, fruit (except bananas and apples) yogurt, and oatmeal that she's eating at the moment. Oh, and I give her probiotics, but I have been doing that for months before the constipation, so I don't think it is helping.

Any more advice?

· Registered
4,195 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nukuspot View Post
I'd like to make her prune puree but I am not sure how to do it?

I bought organic dried prunes, rehydrated them in very hot water for a while (I think I actually boiled water, removed from heat, and put prunes in for 30 min or so). I put them in the blender with enough water until it was a nice puree. I froze individual sections (like in ice cube trays) then store them in the freezer. He likes them too which helps, kinda sweet. I've actually been mixing prunes with most of the food he eats right now. My boy is 9mo and about two or three weeks ago was painfully straining and passing somewhat firm poops. I stopped most food (except coconut oil, and then added prunes). I also try to get him to drink, he likes to drink from a small cup, doesn't do a sippy cup.

· Registered
597 Posts
To do prune puree:
simmer dried prunes (2-3) in some water (enough to come about halfway up the side of the prunes) for ~5-10 minutes, until they are softened
puree using food mill, food processor, etc.
I usually mixed them with another food to puree/serve - pears were the favorite; carrots (although you aren't doing those anymore) were good too; any other fruit would mix well.

Be careful about yogurt - I've read about it both ways, that it keeps the digestive system regular, but also that it can help with diarrhea (so could be binding).

Beans (black, pinto, garbanzo, etc) could be helpful.

That's all I can think of now - hope others have ideas too!

· Premium Member
2,418 Posts
My peds office told me pears help with constipation and I had never heard that one before - but it worked! When DS was about 10 months old and really starting to eat table food he got terribly constipated because he wouldn't drink water either. I cooked and pureed pears mixed with a veggie like zucchini or broccoli and it worked like a charm! I couldn't believe it! For some reason, sweet potatoes seem to help him go, too.

· Registered
43 Posts
I used prune juice to thin any thick pureed food. We froze the prune juice into ice cubes and used one cube a day. It worked pretty well and quickly. My DS wouldn't drink the juice either...even when mixed with breast milk...but gobbled the food mixed with juice. We gave 1 cube a day for a week...he pooped 6 hours after 1st cube. After a week he ended up having a day of 4 poops..more like diarhrea so we backed off...them he regulated to one poop a day...no prune juice!!!

· Registered
4,195 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by blumooned View Post
Be careful about yogurt - I've read about it both ways, that it keeps the digestive system regular, but also that it can help with diarrhea (so could be binding).
The only link I know of for yogurt and diarrhea is that it can populate the gut with healthy bacteria to ward off intestinal upset from drinking unsafe water (ie going to Mexico). I don't believe has any binding properties.

Sweet potatoes actually contributed to my DS's painful straining a while back...it could be different for others but I had seen it mentioned on MDC that they can cause constipation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.