Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Mamas,

I'm cuddling my 4-day-old DD and am so in love! But she has a very small latch, and it's making me sore. She is our second baby, and I nursed my DS for three years with few problems. I had mastitis once, and I know this isn't it (yet). Trying to nip this in the bud! We can work on the latch, but in the meantime, what are your favorite nipple creams? I'm using Lansinoh, but it isn't helping a whole lot and she clearly doesn't like the taste.

Any thoughts on Medela, Motherlove, Earth Mama? Other brands you like? I'd like something that is as natural as possible without compromising relief. Thanks mamas!!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Stick with Medela or Lansinoh purified Lanolin (as long as you are not allergic to wool). Those other creams have 10 to 15 different ingredients in them.. you just don't know the effect of all those herbs and such on your nipples and how much the baby could ingest.

You say she has a small latch. Correct that immediately. Be patient in waiting for her to open her mouth wide, then bring her in to you quickly. Make sure she is tummy to tummy with you and pulled in close. I know this isn't your first baby, but maybe see if you can find a lactation consultant or ask your OB/MW for a latch check.

A correct latch isn't just about not getting sore nipples - although that is important in preventing bacterial infections, plugged ducts and mastitis - but it is also important so that the baby is able to effectively remove the milk and gain nourishment.

Feel better soon. Just a little dab on the nipples is all you need. You can also just use drops of your own milk and let your breasts air dry.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Yeah, I would focus on being meticulous about making sure she latches right each and every time. Creams don't really do much...it's the latch that solves the problem every time!

Congrats on your new baby...sounds like your having a wonderful baby moon

·
Registered
269 Posts
Because of being on Domperidone for gastroparesis, I leak breastmilk all the time, which makes my nipples sore. The best nipple creams I have ever used are Earth Mama Angel Baby nipple butter and Baby's Bliss Nipple Cream. Both are all natural and work fast to relieve sore nipples. I do recommend that you use cloth nursing pads if you are gonna use any nipple cream, unless you want greasy spots on your bra (or possibly a t-shirt). I made this mistake by wearing a tank top without a bra one day. By the end of the day, I had two visible grease spots on my tank top.

Motherlove makes a good nipple cream, if you are suffering from thrush, according to their website. Never tried it myself.

Jessie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.