Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've just started the process of eliminating dairy from our diet. I've tried several different kinds of milks - rice milk, soy milk and nut milks but I haven't really been pleased with any of them. They've all been really watery - some sort of chalky tasting. We don't drink a huge amount of milk but my kids do like it at times so I'd like to come up with a fairly comparable alternative. I'd prefer no soy if possible.

I know that different brands taste different so I'm wondering if anyone knows of a full bodied, creamy milk alternative or are we doomed to watery alternatives?

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
We use the vanilla flavored Rice Dream. I've used it for years and DS has used it since he was about 14 months old. He thinks real milk tastes yucky.

Kathi

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I use enriched rice dream milk (it tastes like skim milk to me). If you are looking for something creamy I would go with soy milk- my MIL has a really creamy one, I'll have to ask her what brand she uses. Sometimes you have to just try a bunch and see what you prefer.

A FABULOUS drink is Vanilla (and chocolate) almond milk. YUM. It's like dessert to me.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
i prefer silk enhanced. it has lots of vitamins and minerals, plus some flax seed oil for omega 3's. its organic too. for something sweeter, dh LOVES the silk very vanilla. (he has a wicked sweet tooth.)
i havent had the other milks (rice, almond, etc.). you really have to try a few different brands and types to find one you like. i like the refrigerated soy milks better than the shelf stable ones, which seem to have the beanier/chalkier taste.
you can also make your own milk alternative. i've read about people making their own soy milk.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Oat milk -- really, really cold oat milk. It has more protein than ricemilk, is enriched, and DS loves it on cereal or in a sippy cup. I can't remember the kind we buy but it comes in a package that's green in parts.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
I also like Blue Diamond almond milk - the vanilla and chocolate ARE like dessert!

I use plain normally and now they have an unsweetened one that's great for cooking with or using when you don't want it to be sweet. You can always sweeten it yourself.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Ive tried oat milk, soy milk, rice milk, almond milk. I like rice milk mostly. Soy milk is ok but some brands taste aniseed-y and I didnt like that. I love chocolate soy milk, its really yummy. Vanilla Rice dream is really nice. I didnt like almond milk and oat milk wasnt that nice either. I think its just going to take some getting used to.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
My advice to you is to buy a soy milk maker. The flavor is SO yummy and beany rather than chalky. You will prefer it. You can also make tofu with it. Look online. Its a really good investment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi! I'm new here, but I just wanted to chime in on the soymilk.
I've been vegan for 20 years, and I've tried just about every soy, almond, rice, and oat milk out there. I recently discovered Pearl Organic S
oymilk, and my whole family loves it! It's totally not watery or overly soy-tasting, and the vanilla is absolutely delicious. It comes in sweetened and unsweetened varieties, although admittedly, I've never tried the unsweetened.

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
:

I do not like all the sugar choc soy puts in our diets so I ususally mix it with a plain, unsweetened milk using 1/3 -1/4 choc. I really like the flavor of vanilla rice milk. Overall, as we switched to organic dairy milk and then to soy and rice we have cut way back milk consumption. The main uses are dh coffee and ds cold cereal, the two older girls will drink choc milk for a snack.

Nut milk and oat milk are interesting ideas if I can find them. What is the average nutritional analysis? Does it come enriched?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
for non-soy, we like Almond Breeze the best.

for soy, we like Silk, or Earth Shake, which is half soy and half oat milks.

unless you have soy allergies, or eat alot of soy in other parts of your diet, i don't mind my kids drinking soymilk (we do alternate with soy, rice, almond, oat, and just plain water). but they have all had those from about 14 months on (except for almond, we waited 2 yrs), so they think that they all taste normal and good. when they were young toddlers, we did the unsweetened kinds of everything, but now they really love the Vanilla and occasional chocolate (we water down with unsweetened too)

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PikkuMyy
I also like Blue Diamond almond milk - the vanilla and chocolate ARE like dessert!

The chocolate is wonderful! My dd and I love to make hot chocolate out of it. It is very creamy IMO.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.