Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been too happy with Kiddie Kandids at BRU the past couple of times, so I'm thinking of trying another portrait studio. I'd love to hire a photographer to shadow us at the park one day or something, but that's a little pricey and I really want to get DD's 2yo photos done soon.

Has anyone had a good experience with one of the national chain portrait studios, like JC Penney or Sears? Or do you have other recommendations for a good studio to use? Thanks!

·
Registered
496 Posts
We've used JCP studios every year and have been really happy with them.
However, as the PP has said, it really does depend on who's behind the camera. You can get fantastic or a horror show from anywhere.

One thing I *don't* like is that they're required (by corporate) to offer all the different colorings, collaborations, etc. To me, I'm not interested so it's a total waste of time for me to wait for them to put it all together. I've even asked them not to do it (save us both some time) and they can't.
OTOH, the people where we go have been really cool about it when I don't even consider all their hard work. I apologize every time for skimming right over them.

I do like that I can always find a coupon for a free sitting fee and reduced prices on sheets and a free 8x10.

I'm basically a photo studio's worst nightmare - I know what I want and I only get that, I use coupons, and only spend about $30 when it's all said and done.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by limabean View Post
I'd love to hire a photographer to shadow us at the park one day or something,
Do you live near any colleges? You could get a student to take them in exchange for letting them use the images in their portfolio and the cost of supplies.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
We use to love Kiddie Kandids, but since they are now out of business, we have been using Sears. We got great pictures for both DS and DD and will be sticking with them for now. I also like that I get more then the 6 to 8 pictures that was standard with Kiddie Kandids, I got 20+ pictures to chose from with Sears, which was really nice.

Our Picture People, was horrible the one time we tried them and we have not been back, they were so bad they left a really horrible impression with us.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Picture People

They produce a richer looking picture. The plain white background is very chic right now. They also strive to capture the child's personality. So, they encourage just throwing the kid down and letting them do their thing. There is very little posing. And, the photagraphers have more freedom because their camera is not attached to the ceiling.

But, I think their prints are cheaply made. They are made right there within 45 minutes. When we go to a real photagrapher he sends them out to get developed. It takes a week or two. They are so much nicer. But, that runs me like $30 for each 4x6, $8 a wallet.

Personaly, I would rather go to the park and shoot some photos with my canon elf than take my kid to sears/jc penny/kiddie candids. I do like the idea of getting in contact with a student. You might try craigslist.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
We use JCP, and get pics done every 3 months. Its the same lady every time and she LOVES Levi (she says every time how well behaved he is and easy to photograph, he does everything she asks and takes great pics)

Also, we use the coupon every time we go, so free sitting fee, and its only $3.99 for each sheet of photos, or $8 for a whole bunch of the same one in different sizes. Or other discounts if you want the fancy kind with the different backgrounds and things. And I forget the cost but you can get them all emailed to you, and just print them yourself too.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...%202010/13.jpg
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...%202010/23.jpg

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tabrizia View Post
We use to love Kiddie Kandids, but since they are now out of business...
Oh really? I didn't even know that -- I guess I picked a good time to want to switch!

Thanks for the suggestions -- the prices at JCP sound great and I found some coupons on their website, so maybe we'll try them and save up for a professional photographer for later this year or something.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I think Portrait Innovations rocks.

You can't beat their $9.99 special (1 10x13, 2 8x10, 4 5x7, 4 3.5x5, 32 wallets, and 6 photo cards). Amazing deal.

They always do a great job. You look at the pics on the screen, choose what you want, and its printed and ready to take home in about 15 mins.

If you do a 3 pose package, you get the CD with all your pictures. Its around $80 or so if you do the 3 pose package. That also gets you a 10x13 decorator which are nice.

I usually take both of my kids. I do a pic of them together for the 9.99 special. Then do one pose of my DD, one of my DS, and pick one more of my favorites to qualify for the 3 pose deal. It helps that my DD and DS are both April babies, so we can do our 1 yr old and 4 yr old pics all at one go

XOXO
B

·
Registered
389 Posts
I've tried both Sears and Target and preferred Target. They had better pricing, the staff was great, the wait time was short (I've been the first appointment scheduled at Sears and still had to wait 20 min.) and most importantly, I liked their photos better.

A Portrait Innovations recently opened near us and I think we'll be trying them out next.

·
Registered
216 Posts
We like Portrait Innovations. They are fast, and take great pictures! Also, so cute editing and effects. Get a ton of pictures for pretty cheap!

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sounds like Portrait Innovations is great! I checked their website, and unfortunately I live in one of the few states where they don't have stores yet, but I'll keep checking back since it looks like they're opening new studios all the time.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Portrait Innovations - tell me more. I'm ticked that they don't have any prices on their website except their one shot deal. We get single sheets of a lot of different poses, so I want to know what that pricing looks like.

thanks!

-Angela

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Picture People. If you get on their mailing list and also buy their "membership" deal, you can get really, really good deals. They send out coupons for free 8x10s all the time (and there is no sitting fee), and w/ the membership (which was $29, I think), you get $10 and a free sheet each visit. I almost never pay anything and leave with 2 8x10s and 2 4x6s.

However-- it's not like a professional photographer who can be trusted to arrange great pictures. They have a set of poses taught them by corporate training, or something, and they always try to do those. I go in with an idea of what I want, and then I tell them and arrange the child myself. I also have to tell them, "Seriously, no, just take pictures of my child-- don't try to make her smile." My daughter is NOT amused by a strange man shaking a feather duster at her. Hah. And I never let them use the props. The props are ridiculous and cheap-looking.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.