Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, I'm wondering what everyone's favorite oils are for making mayo. I've been messing around with it for a few months now and can't seem to get it quite right.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
Sunflower or duck fat. They're both very neutral flavored - but the duck fat is more unctuous.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I use half olive oil half coconut oil. It does take on a distinctive coconut oil flavor though, but I like it that way. The coconut oil also gives it a margarine like consistency, not runny like home made mayo sometimes is.

My recipe is

1 egg yolk
1/4 c each oo and co
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 TBLSP lemon juice
salt to taste

I kept having bad luck with electric blenders with separation. So I finally stopped being lazy and do it by hand with a whisk. It actually seems easier that way and keeps a better consistency.
I blend the mustard into the egg yolk first, then add the oil about a tsp at a time. After all the oil is emulsified I add the lemon juice and salt.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
bacon grease all the way!!!
: I tried olive oil and the flavor was too strong for me. I went to http://cavemanfood.blogspot.com and saw the recipe for Bacon Grease Mayo. It is wonderful!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I plan to try Kelly the Kitchen Kop's recipe that she posted, using expeller pressed sesame oil, tomorrow.

http://kellythekitchenkop.com/2009/0...t-finally.html

I "sacrified" some of my limited raw milk to make some whey because my last batch of whey went bad.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I use half vegetable oil and half olive oil.

For a twist, add some fresh chives, parsley, or fresh spinach (at the end of the processing) for green mayo... soooo good!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.