Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will you list your favorite patterns for one skein of yarn, preferably with a link to the download or the book?

for the women in my family this year, i'm doing baskets with yarn and needles and stitch markers (we all knit) and i thought it would be fun to include patterns too, so i need a big variety of ideas!

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
?
I'm coveting the cashmere wrap cardigan at www.hipknits.co.uk at the moment.
Given how fashionable beaded knitting is atm, I'd also add in a packet or two of beautiful beads with wide holes that can be threaded onto their knitting.
As for patterns, I have few ideas... I do like the cleo clutch from spun magazine though.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lnupermom View Post
Please check the copyright notice first as the majority of patterns(even internet freebies) do not allow for copying to distribute to others.
i'm sure we all appreciate your reminder. as an artist, i'm very sensitive to copyright issues because of problems i have had in the past.

we all know that when someone is selling a pattern, you need to purchase a copy for each person you want to give it to as a gift. i would think that the women here understand that for the women writing patterns, it's a business and important that we help them succeed, if we want to keep getting great new patterns from them!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
?
I'm coveting the cashmere wrap cardigan at www.hipknits.co.uk at the moment.
Given how fashionable beaded knitting is atm, I'd also add in a packet or two of beautiful beads with wide holes that can be threaded onto their knitting.
As for patterns, I have few ideas... I do like the cleo clutch from spun magazine though.
thanks helen! great ideas! and i love that pattern -- i've got a similar one at home, but now i'm wanting to make it for me! i've got to knit for gifts right now, not for me. must....not....give....in.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Quote:

Please check the copyright notice first as the majority of patterns(even internet freebies) do not allow for copying to distribute to others.
Are you saying that even posting links to free patterns is inappropriate? I do understand not copying to distribute, making to sell or barter, etc. But I do think that if the pattern is posted on the internet, it's there for people to find and use. Am I wrong???

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Quote:

I think the OP was just asking for a link to the download or to the book being referenced. Far as I know there's not many ways for that to violate a copyright notice, unless the work in question is not supposed to be on the Internet.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Quote:
I think the OP was just asking for a link to the download or to the book being referenced. Far as I know there's not many ways for that to violate a copyright notice, unless the work in question is not supposed to be on the Internet
The original post said she wanted to include patterns in her gift baskets and asked for links. To me that read as if she was planning on printing the patterns rather than placing a list of links in the knitting baskets. While it may not be the case in this situation, many people incorrectly presume that if it's on the internet, copyright rules don't apply.

Quote:
will you list your favorite patterns for one skein of yarn, preferably with a link to the download or the book?

for the women in my family this year, i'm doing baskets with yarn and needles and stitch markers (we all knit) and i thought it would be fun to include patterns too, so i need a big variety of ideas!

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Oh, ok. I didn't put that together in my head! This does bring up a question I've had for quite some time though, and I hope it doesn't spark something unpleasant.

If a free pattern, posted on the internet, is nothing more than XX number of stitches cast on for, say, a simple item like a scarf, blanket or washcloth, includes basic stitches that can be found in any stitch dictionary and not actual new ideas (the dreamswatch comes to mind, as the author specifically indicates that she came up with the stitch pattern herself, hence that is her own creation and property, rather than something that I could pull out of a stitch dictionary on my own), is this truly a copyrighted pattern? I'm thinking primarily of garter stitch scarves, basic ribbed hats with no patterning or detailed work, etc.

Just curious, certainly not trying to rock any boats.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The stitch pattern itself can't be copy written from what I understand. The wording of how to make it and the item itself are though. It's kinda like a recipe, you can't copyright the list of ingredients in a recipe that you come up with; the protected part is your words of what to do with those ingredients.
(also not trying to rock any boats)

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
It just seems so strange, imo, that I could jot down my notes for the 3x3 ribbed scarf I just made my brother, and call it a copywrited pattern just because my wording varies from everyone elses. The end result is exactly the same.

I can see where a pattern that includes a variety of stitches in a certain order, with a specific gauge, yarn and sizing could be proprietary. I just don't understand how a totally generic, basic concept/pattern, like a garter stitch scarf or basic ribbed hat, can be copywrited. I mean, what if I came up with the exact same wording, stitch count and details as someone else, and even used the same yarn, never saw their pattern but put mine out for public viewing? Could I be called out for copyright infringement?

Again, this is all just curiousity. If I find a free pattern online and use it (and I use primarily free patterns, mostly for inspiration but occasionally word for word and stitch for stitch), I would never use that pattern for financial gain. I'm just very curious about the legality issues of such.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

The stitch pattern itself can't be copy written from what I understand. The wording of how to make it and the item itself are though. It's kinda like a recipe, you can't copyright the list of ingredients in a recipe that you come up with; the protected part is your words of what to do with those ingredients.
(also not trying to rock any boats)
why is it that talking about copyright always seems to get people so riled up?
:
:

i suspect it has something to do with the fact that it is a very arcane, complex topic, and efforts by folks without a background in intellectual property law to summarize it in a sentence or two are rarely accurate and cause a lot of confusion.

maybe we could just agree to let the distraction go and talk about our favorite one skein patterns, which was my initial request.

inupermom, let me reassure you, anyone who knows me in real life will assure you that i'm a law-abiding tax paying citizen
: i always pay to download patterns that i give as a gift, and my intent was to find patterns to download and books to purchase. so, on that note, can we please get back to talking about some good pattern choices?

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
??? I'm not riled. Really, I'm not. I'm just curious, b/c I don't know much about this. It's something I've been wondering about for a while now, and this thread brought it out in the open. I'm sorry I voiced my questions, I won't bring it up again. I'm still confused, but I'll look elsewhere.....

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
For one skein patterns:

-Keyhole Scarf from Yarn Girls Guide To Simple Knits. I bought my copy on Amazon.com for half the regular price (I bought a used copy)
-Bulky mittens from knittingpureandsimple.com
-Drop stitch/yarnover scarf - Lion's website has one that's similar to the Curly Purly we've all been raving over, but the yarn they use in their sample makes it hard to see the detail. Same concept though.
-Panta! drops.com or craftser, I like the drops.com pattern myself
-fingerless gloves/mitts/wristwarmers, you could write your own pattern for this one. I just cast on 32 st with ww yarn on size 8's, did k2p2 ribbing for 8 rows and then knit stockinette until they reached my knuckles. Sewed up the sides and left a hole for the thumb. But you could do it on dpns', make them longer and all ribbed, put a thumbhole, etc.
-washclothes/bath scrubby things
-toys??? I don't have any links for these though

·
Registered
486 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdavis337 View Post
For one skein patterns:
-toys??? I don't have any links for these though
Most of my toy patterns are small so they use one skein or less. Some of them are even great ways to use up scraps:

http://kimberlychapman.com/crafts/knit-patterns.html

http://kimberlychapman.com/crafts/knit-littledudes.html

On the linking/copyright/etc issue, what constitutes something as copyrightable in a reasonable context (as opposed to legal literalism) is probably how unique it is. If someone posts a 3x3 rib pattern and calls it copywritten, chances are someone else has probably done it before so while it's sorta technically copywritten it's also sorta not. I've encountered lots of uppity people who get their knickers in a knot when someone "copies" their incredibly obvious pattern, be it knitting, sewing, beading, whatever.

If someone was going to try to enforce the issue for a pattern, a court would probably require the item to be unique enough as to be obvious where the original source is. So with my baby blanket pattern - which is just a simple knit/purl weave look, no judge is going to reasonably say that that is so unique that it's protected. But with my knitted DNA, which is very unique, that's probably something I could enforce if I wanted to.

But being the casual hippy-type that I am, I'd only be angry if someone posted something almost identical and called it their own. If someone did a whole different version, that'd be kinda cool and I'd actually link to it as a variant.

I try to chalk it all up to the "do unto others as you'd have them do unto you" thing. I have no problem with people reverse-engineering stuff from my gallery (heck, I encourage it because I'm always behind on posting patterns), and I've done likewise with stuff I've seen online. But any time I use someone else's specific pattern, even if I tweak it slightly, I give full credit and never steal. I expect the same of others.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdavis337 View Post
??? I'm not riled. Really, I'm not. I'm just curious, b/c I don't know much about this. It's something I've been wondering about for a while now, and this thread brought it out in the open. I'm sorry I voiced my questions, I won't bring it up again. I'm still confused, but I'll look elsewhere.....
please don't be offended! i didn't mean riled in a bad way -- i've just noticed it always seems to get the conversation going, lol.

it always seems strange to me because although (please don't throw tomatoes) i'm a lawyer, i'm a federal prosecutor and i would no more try to have an opinion on copyright issue, except for a really basic one, than i would on rocket science or something. i actually have a classmate from school with an advanced degree on ip who handles stuff like that for me -- it's just that complex.

but, on a day to day basis, the way i always look at it is a golden rule sort of thing, or maybe i mean common sense. for instance, if i pay to download the oh jan dress pattern for myself, i can't just give it away after that. i have to pay to download it for each friend i want to give it to. but, if i get a free lion brand pattern at joanns, i can get ten of them and given them to friends as well. same thing, if someone else comes up with an idea, i would never make a copy and sell it. and, if i thought i was doing something that was close, ie the scarf idea above, i would just talk to the person and explain where i came from and if my design was at all derivative, i would ask for permission or offer to pay. and then there's the ribknit scarf issue, which is clearly something that can't be copyrighted. maybe i'm oversimplifying, but i think common sense goes a long way here (and i really apologize if i offended anyone with the "riled up" comment).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts