Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is suddenly starting to sing and really enjoying it. When we do "itsy bitsy spider" he loves to do the hand motions and tries to sing along. When we do "wheels on the bus" and get to "all around the town" he always says "town!" with great glee.

We have some fun kids music but its more sophisticated and not really sing-along kind of stuff. (Ralph Covert, Jack Johnson, They Might Be Giants, etc)

What CDs do you have for your kids that are fun for them to join in on?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
DD loves the Sesame Street cds. Which is funny since she's only seen the show once or twice.
I like the cds too (especially the platinum collection with the song Rubber Ducky) since they remind me of when I was little.

She also looooves to music portion of her Signing Times american sign language DVDs. The Signing Times website does sell cds with just the songs (amazon has them too) and they're fun. The songs do get stuck in my head for hours on end and I find myself humming things like "The Silly Pizza" song while I'm at work (I'm a reference librarian at a university and it's REALLY innapropriate to be humming at the desk!). So warning's fair.

I hear you on the "not really kid music" though...our absolute favs are Buckwheat Zydeco, Louis Armstrong, Mighty Mighty BossTones, and a middle eastern group called Turku. Which make for fun listening and great dancing, but not so much for singing along.

Hope you and your son have fun!

·
Registered
616 Posts
I am a kindergarten teacher, so I have been collecting kids CD's for a while. My DS loves the Wee Sing ones - they have a lot of easy nursery rhyme songs on them. I love Hap Palmer, but we don't have them on CD, just vinyl
from my own childhood! Greg and Steve are pretty good too. My kindergarteners love Dr. Jean.
Maybe go check some out at the library to see what you both like, and go from there.

·
Premium Member
12,445 Posts
Hi,

I asked a very similar question awhile back and got some great responses. Here they are:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=470556

I second the "Wee Sing" ones, though after 5 hours in the car of ONE "Wee Sing" tape (which has the same songs on BOTH sides, so that was 10 repetitions of the SAME songs) -- we're taking an "wee sing" break! Hap Palmer is OK too - though some of the songs are clearly meant for "teaching" in groups ("if you're wearing a dress, stand up" that kind of thing).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts