Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We need some inspiration (and recipes) for fairly quick-and-easy yummy summer meals. Marc is happy to grill every night of the week, so grill recipes would be especially great since I won't have as much to do!

We have no food restrictions. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any other ideas? I'm trying to get a menu plan together and I'm having a terrible time with it this week!

·
Registered
368 Posts
We make a really easy pasta salad with whatever fresh garden veggies can be grilled that are on hand

Example:
* 1 package fun pasta (fussilli or such) cooked and drained
* 2 large zucchini or summer squash and 2 peppers (deseeded) sliced and grilled - cool and cut into bite-sized pieces
* 2 cups halfed cherry/baby tomatoes
* 2 - 3 cups washed & dried spinach or other green
* 2 cups cubed fresh mozorella or tofu
* 1/2 - 1 cups balsamic viniagrette (we use a homemade dressing but any will do fine!)

Mix all together and serve. We usually have enough for 2 nights if we use a full bag of pasta !

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Here's what summer is to me:

Potato salad
Pasta salad
Bean salad
Couscous
Garden salad
Fresh veggies (sliced cucumber, carrots, tomato, etc) with or without dip
BBQ chicken
Sandwiches/subs
Fruit salad
Ice cream /sundaes
Watermelon
Cantaloupe
Peaches
Hamburgers

Not a lot of cooking going on.

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
Alot of what's already been mentioned...pasta salads, sandwiches, fresh fruit and veggies....and the crockpot!

For example, for tonight...I had a bunch of pintos in the fridge still that I cooked up the other day, so I sauteed some onion and green pepper and threw them in with the beans and a bottle of BBQ sauce in the crockpot. Slicing up fresh tomatoes and serving cottage cheese on the side. YUM! Good warm weather food after my DS's ball game!

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Grilled salmon and tabouli.

Caprese salad and good bread.

Grilled chicken with cold, spicy peanut-curry sauce, and Thai-style red-chilied "quick pickles."

Chilled spicy peanut noodles.

alsoSarah

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Buffalo or turkey-mushroom burgers, with corn on the cob and sliced ripe tomatoes dressed in olive oil.

Honey-mustard chicken thighs with potato salad and veggies.

Pasta with pesto (sometimes we add shrimp to that), veggies.

Make-your-own burrito and taco fixings.

·
Premium Member
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yummy, finally some inspiration! Chickpea salad sounds tasty to me. I wonder how it would go over with Marc? I guess we'll see!

·
Registered
100 Posts
We grill a lot during the summer, but have never tried barbecued pizza. Interesting concept.

We also do lots of corn on the cob, cantelope, tossed salads, pasta salads, potato salad. Anything that will keep us from have to slave over a hot stove.

·
Registered
192 Posts
We are big into salads here (okay, we're weird -- we eat them for snacks), as well as with lunch and dinner, so we always have salad fixings on hand. Often we'll grill a chicken breast and toss that into a salad for a super-easy dinner.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My *favorite* summertime pasta sauce. You don't cook it, it takes just as long as boiling the pasta. If you family need meat, get DH to toss a couple of steaks or chicken breasts on the grill while you relax w/ a glass of cool wine! I only do this in the summertime when I can get good ingredients from the farmer's market. Oh, and the leftovers are fantastic cold for lunch.

Spaghettini with Checca Sauce (from Giada De Laurentis, FoodTV)

8 oz spaghittini or angle hair pasta
4 scallions (white and pale green parts only), coarsely chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed (I usually use 5, though)
1 (12 oz) container cherry tomatoes, halved
1 (1 oz) piece of parmesean, coarsely chopped
8-10 fresh basil leaves
Salt & freshly ground pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 ounces fresh mozarella cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (or just the little balls)

Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente, stirring often (the salt is really important in this dish).

Meanwhile, combine next 7 ingredients in a food processor. Pulse just until the tomatoes are coarsely chopped (don't puree).

Drain the pasta, reserving some of the pasta water. Toss the pasta with the tomato mixture and fresh mozzarella in a large bowl. Add some of the reserved pasta water (about 1/4 cup) if the sauce looks dry. Serve immediately.

·
Premium Member
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
spedel~That sounds soooooo yummy! I love Giada and every recipe I have ever made of hers was fabulous, so I'm sure this will be as well. I know what to put on the menu for Monday. Tonight is chicken souvlaki on pitas with tzatziki, tomorrow is a steak salad, and Sunday we are eating with family for Father's Day. Otherwise we would definitely be having this one sooner than Monday! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Our Friday night ritual for summer is to eat a big salad for dinner. Chop up just about any veggies you have on hand, add some cut up meat if desired, boiled eggs, cheese etc. Served with fresh home-made bread. Yummy!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.