Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS really doesn't seem to be intrested in many of his toys lately. He still plays trains & cars once in awhile. However the play kitchen, dress up clothes, picture books, even the pirate ship are really of no intrest to him anymore. He like balls, but can't exactly play with them much inside. He also likes crafts & board games, but I am more looking for quite stuff for him to keep himself entertained while I am cooking dinner for example. So I am curious what is your 3y olds favorite thing to play with right now?

I know I want to get him Cranium Hulabaloo & a magnafying glass, but other than that I am at a loss.
Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Sometimes getting a few new pieces for a play set renews a kid's interest. So you could get some new food for the kitchen, some interesting shaped tracks and new train cars for the train set, new additions to the dress up clothes, etc. It can also help to rotate toys. Pack away the things he isn't playing with and bring them back out in a month or two while packing away some of the things that were out during that time.

As to something new, my ds loved his marble run but needed help putting it together. The cheaper plastic kind stay together better for younger kids. I like that ours is translucent.

·
Registered
574 Posts
LEGOS!

My 3 yr old ds plays with the duplo legos and his older sister's little legos. He can play for hours (literally) by himself, with his sister, or with a parent.

You might also want to try some toys that spark the imaginary play side- like Playmobil or Little People. Also both big hits for my 3 y.o.

·
Premium Member
12,445 Posts
Have you rotated toys? That always renews my kids' interest in them.

What about trucks? Our ds loves his garbage trucks by Bruder, his crane, etc.

Dd has an easel that she loves, and playdough is always good for keeping her busy.

Legos are a good idea too.

What about a suction cup basketball hoop and a nerf bastketball?

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
I forgot to plug something I think is neat and I wish we had when ds was 3. Woody Click is kind of a cross between legos and Brio. They are vehicles that come apart and can be put together as intended or in creative ways. I found an airplane at a discount store when ds was 4. I loved seeing how he put the wings on the front and pretended it was a plow. He put the propellor on the bottom and pretended it was a grass cutter. I thought that if I had the $, I would have bought him the vehicles with the neatest parts, like the helicopter, fire truck, excavator, etc.
http://www.constructiontoys.com/store/tcs-wdc-main.php

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually now that it's been mentioned I think we do have a box of Little People we put in the garage with the intention of rotating toys, but it just never got brought back in.
:
I guess I will take the kitchen & some others out & bring the little people in.

He has some of the big Duplo blocks & has never really done more than dump them out & put them back...well maybe a few towers here & there. So maybe I will look for something smaller. Or maybe even some of the diffrent shaped wood blocks.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
My ds loves playing with his diggers on the kitchen counter while I prepare meals. I let him use dried beans and barley for scooping, and he's happy for quite awhile. But then he loves diggers more than anything! he also really like working sticker books.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Play dough for sure, with the molds and stuff.

Chalk is good. You can buy the roll out chalk paper and adhere it ot the fridge.

DS is really into his lincoln logs too.

I don't know what to call this thing but it is wooden shapes with velcro on the back and it came with a board that has felt on it.

For a few weeks I was bringig his paint stuff in the kitchen and He was painting right on the kitchen table while I did stuff. It really was pretty easy. I only have one kid though so more than one might need more supervision.

another thing that needs more supervision due to the mess factor is home made play dough. But it lasts a little while, so one day of supervision might get you through the rest of the week. I give DS a rolling pin and cookie cutters and he has some Play-doh accessories

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.