Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to bring an appetizer to Thanksgiving at my SIL's tommorrow. I'm the only veg, they are hardcore meat and dairy eaters and make fun of my "weird food choices". She is making some velveeta and salsa dip thing (barf) so salsa and chips is out for me. We did hummus for DS's birthday and they all looked at it funny and wouldn't try it.

Any thoughts?

The appetizer and what I bring for my own dinner are likely the only things I'll be able to eat so I want the app to be yummy!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Ok, this is totally cheating & easy, but one thing that tends to go over well (and I enjoy, also) are pinwheels.

Buy some nice tortillas (whole wheat or funky flavoured), a package of plain tofutti cream cheese. Spread tortillas with cream cheese, then top with whatever you like - green onions and red pepper is good, and I also like pesto, or sundried tomato/olive. Roll them up tightly, then slice into rounds.

Voila, appetizer!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Bean dip!!!

Black beans
lots of cilantro, green onions and garlic
lime juice
olive oil
cumin, chili powder, salt and a little cayenne

whir it a little in the FP and then transfer to a bowl and smush with a potato smusher (or whatever that thing is called)

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I second the "pinwheels" (I had no idea that's what they were called?) ... I haven't had them in years! I used to love making them on tortillas with Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese and Sunflower Kitchen Sundried Tomato Spread; then when you cut them up, you get to eat the misshapen ends! Yummy!

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Sometimes we do something similar to the pinwheels, but we add black olives and marinated artichoke hearts.

Actually, my favorite appetizer, though, would have to be samosas. I do not know how well they would go over with a traditional thanksgiving meal though.

·
Registered
939 Posts
My fav. appie -- I must make it once a week is low-fat artichoke dip!!!

Take a can of artichokes, drain them and combine with:
  • 1/2 cup shredded moz and swiss
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
  • few minced cloves of garlic
  • 2 tbls sour cream
  • 4 tbls mayo
  • pinch of cayanne
    Blend together, put in a dish, top with parmasan and bake for 20 mins.
    SOOOOOO good!

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanx everyone! Too many yummy choices! OK I decided to do some of the pinwheels and also a vegan-ized version of spinach dip in pumpernickle bread.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
What Vegan Spinach Dip recipe did you use, HelloKitty? How did it turn out?

I love Spinach Dip but I've never been able to make it very well, usually I just put Sour Supreme, Onion Soup Mix and Spinach. I mean, it's good, it's OK, just not spectacular or anything. And a bit too salty. I wanna try to figure out a recipe using Silken Tofu instead of Sour Supreme cause it's way cheaper.

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just used Sour Supreme, veggie soup mix and spinach. It was good. Not too salty. I used Knorr soup mix I think. Wasn't spectacular but I'm not sure I've ever tasted a spinach dip that was

1 - 12 of 12 Posts