Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
I bring hummus (usually 2 types), bean buritos, falalfel, cold orzo salad with lots of veggies, GORP of course and I eat cheese (thats all I can think of now)
if you have a dehydrator, the hummus drys well and packs small, lasts long

good luck & have fun!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Fantastic foods make instant beans, falafell and tabouleh. I love that stuff. I guess it depends on what you got and how much you like to cook. I don't like to cook when we camp. We usually cook things up ahead of time and bring a very full cooler. We get convience food that we don't usually buy, too. Like juice, small boxes of chocolate soy milk, cereal, cliff bars, granola bars etc. If you want Smores you can buy that marshmallow fluff in the jar. I believe the Smucker's one is safe.

Growing up my mom would cook big meals even when camping. If you've got a dutch oven you can put that in or on top of the fire and put some Vegetarian canned chili or beans and top with cornbread batter. You could throw in some veggie dogs, too. Heck you can put anything in the dutch oven. Just remember you've got to clean that darn thing when you are all done =) We had a big grid looking thing that clamps down on top of food and you hold that over the fire. My mom used it for meat, but nothing says you can't put veggie burgers in there.

Heather

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Fantastic foods also makes an instant hummus that's not bad if you don't want to dehydrate your own.

What about veggie foil packs for the fire? Most recipes have a meat and potatoes theme but no reason you couldn't do wonderful summer veggies. Maybe grill some tofu too.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Speaking of Fantastic Foods (is this an advertising thread?)
they also make a good veggie chili mix. You have to add, I think, 2 cans of beans and a can of stewed tomatoes, plus some water. It cooks up very nice. I serve it with natural tortilla chips and maybe some guacamole, or else salsa. (Depending on situation.)

We bring a cooler full of fruits like apples, cherries - the ones that are sturdiest. For breakfast usually some cereal with soymilk. I'll usually make a pasta dinner one night too. (With jarred sauce.) I make coleslaw at home and bring that.

·
Registered
900 Posts
We usually stop by the farmer's market on the way to camping and buy tons of fresh fruits and veggies. I LOVE cooking fresh corn on cobb and potatos wrapped in tin foil. you just throw it in the coals/fire and let it cook. so yummy...i must be hungry!!

-melissa

·
Registered
604 Posts
Bread: Apple-flax-wholewheat pancakes or a fakin bacon,mushroom, tomato and banana fry-up stuffed between wholewheat bread slices (oh my goodness, this is seriously yummy!), home-made granola and rice or soy milk.

Lunch: Tofurky deli-slices sandwiches, chili and cornbread (brought ready-made from home)

Dinner: veggie dogs or hamburgers over the fire. If it's raining, pasta and sauce cooked under a tarp
Also: potatoes and onions wrapped individually in foil and tossed into the coals....this is a fave of ours.

Desert: s'mores (there are vegan marshmallows now for toasting on sticks - Pangea and Veganessentials have 'em but I favor the Veganessentials brand; Frookies or Newman's O's, hot chocolate.

We eat wa-a-a-a-y too much when we camp!

Warmly,
Michelle in NY

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
By camping, do you mean car-camping (as in, will you be close to your car), or are you hiking out to a camping spot? That usually determines what I bring. I'll assume you'll be fairly close to your car for the moment.

My all time favorite camping dinner is veggie (or minestrone) soup with grilled cheese. I just love the way grilled cheese tastes when it has been cooked over the fire. The soup can be from a can, or if you are really ambitous, you can actually prepare it over the fire. I usually do canned soup, but I choose my absolute favorite kind because when you want to get all cozy and feel good by a camp fire, you gotta have soul-nourishing food, iykwim. Corn on the cob is great too!

Oh, do not forget your can opener if you bring canned foods!

In the morning I'm usually pretty eager to get away from the campsite and enjoy my sorroundings, so I don't often have something hot for breakfast (if I do, it is always whole wheat pancakes...I am not usually a fan of pancakes but there is something about pancakes cooked over a fire that just makes me feel so warm inside). Fruit, however, I often find too "cool" for a chilly morning after a night spent in my tent. Granola is good, with or without milk (though my jaw gets sore with really crunchy foods, so again, I pick my kind carefully, usually going for the one with lots of dehydrated fruit). Otherwise I might go for something like a healthy banana bread, maybe made with applesauce as a replacement for some of the sugar. If you've got a cooler, yogurt is also a great one (though like fruit can be pretty "cool" for a chilly morning, but perfect after a short morning hike).

I always keep lots of fruits and veggies of all kinds around for snacking. For some reason, I have a great association with camping and grapes. It must be those camping trips I took with my first "true love." Grapes really do make great snacks because you can just grab and munch, and there is no waste to deal with. Just wash your fruits and veggies before you leave. Trail mix is always a must too (I don't often do smores, but I always bring a really chocolately trail mix-- yum!).

For lunch, cheese and veggie sandwiches are often my default, or if we are really in the mood, sometimes we bring veggie burgers for a lunch-time BBQ. I just don't often like to make fires till evening time. I remember reading in Backpacking magazine once that cheese has a very high tolerance for being without refridgeration for extended periods, so cheese is a great camping staple. Even without a cooler, cheese can make it for up to a couple of days if shaded well from direct sun and kept in the coolest spot you have available to you.

Have fun!
Sierra

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
i love cous-cous when camping. it makes a yummy b-fast w/ brown sugar and cinnamon.
i second the instant beans- i used them to make burittos.
pb & j burritos are also a fav, with gorp inside. lol. easier to bring tortillas then bread, kwim?
veggie burgers
pasta (mac and cheese, ect)
beans and rice
oatmeal w/ dried fruit/apples

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
Oh, I also wanted to second what someone said about Fluff. Like I said, I very rarely do the smores thing myself, but when I do, most types of Fluff (creamy marshmellowy stuff in a jar) is without gelatin/is vegetarian. You can also roast Fluff on a stick like a marshmellow, but it does take some practice (and a spoon) because that stuff is not really in "solid" form. You'll probably also get messy-- so you might want to have baby wipes on hand next to the fire (opening your tent to get to the wipes when your hands are covered in marshmellow goo is quite the task!). One night many years ago I became *very* skilled at roasting Fluff while with friends who were roasting marshmellows over a fire in a fireplace!

Sierra

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by carrots
i swear sometimes we just go camping to eat
LOL

That is so like us...food is just so much better when cooked on the fire, so when I go camping, I am all about splurging on the yummiest of foods. And then after I pack up a car trunk full of food, I think, "this is all we need, right?!"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.