Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am slowly but surely making the transition to vegetarianism. No big deal -- I've never been much of a meat eater anyway. My husband, however, is a meat-eater. But he is also a smart man who knows not to complain about food he doesn't have to prepare. I've been using the Moosewood Restaurant New Classics cookbook for the past week, and he didn't notice that he didn't get meat (I asked him, so I know for certain; down side is that now he's paying attention).

So what other cookbooks are vegetarian, but have appeal for non-vegetarians? (I am not excluding dairy and eggs at this point, but those are limited anyway because one of our children has food issues).

Thanks for any help,

Tara

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Well, there is one called The Vegetarian Meat and Potatoes Cookbook by Robertson (can't remember her first name) that dh actually likes (he is also omni). The recipes are so good!

He also likes things I make from The Enchanted Broccoli Forest by Mollie Katzen. This is my fave right now.

Also any of the other Moosewoods are great and I am about to get the new Celebrate one
HTH!!

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
I also recommend the meat n potatoes one, and the enchanted broccoli forest.

I also like the Vegan Mediterranean Cookbook, anything by Madhur Jaffrey (various Asian recipies - she's Indian).

Come join our vegetarian thread! Lots of people there who can help you make the transition. (My student with autism is also vegetarian and we've found a lot of things that he likes to eat - I did a sensory/food program and he'll now eat TONS of new foods with all sorts of textures and tastes. He's not gfcf though...perhaps he should be but his parent's won't think of it.)

Also check out vegfamily.com

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks for the feedback. I will definitely add them to my list.

T PikkuMyy -- do you have any reading suggestions for your sensory/food program (book, article, researcher, etc)? I've managed to get my son up to 14 foods by working with his sensory preferences, but I've been going by instinct alone. He has autism, sensory issues, oral-motor defensiveness, allergies and sensitivites, and he is gfcf, soy-free, dye-free, and yeast/mold-free. I'm working on a nutrition degree, and I tried firing off some questions to my advisors who responded with sound nutritional advice, but completely unrealistic suggestions for helping a kid with autism.

Thanks again for all help,

Tara

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Years ago, when I was only contemplating vegetarianism
I got this book called ALMOST VEGETARIAN. It gives you recipes with options for tofu, chicken or fish, or just the veggies. THat way you can ease your way in. It also has lots of tips on how to buy/cook veggies, stock pantry, ......etc etc. I still use it, even though I dont eat meat at all now.

Pasta Verde........Italian Vegetarian......great recipes! Some great pasta salad ideas.

Feeding the Healthy Vegetarian Family......lots of great kid recipes too. Just got this from the library and plan on buying a copy for myself. Lots of recipes to use everyday.

Cooking Light Mags and Cookbooks.......I have a subscription to this mag, and it always has yummy gourmet yet easy recipes that your dh will love, and you can impress friends. I use this source for most of my cooking. THeyve got a great website too, with a discussion forum and recipe search.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
I second Feeding the Healthy Vegetarian Family - I LOVE that cookbook. I also love Laurel's Kitchen and Celebration of Wellness - all have easy, yummy recipes that appeal to everybody.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Laurel's Kitchen

I like it mostly for the thorough nutritional information. I don't know how recently it might have been updated though. Best salsa recipe I've ever had comes from that book--otherwise I'm an omnivore. I plan to use this book when I try again to get into breadbaking.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I like all the Moosewood, esp. Moosewood Cooks At Home. I also like all of the Greens books (by Deborah madison and/or Annie Somerville) and the Didi Emmons books (vegetarian planet and entertaining for a vegetarian planet).

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
All the Moosewoods!!! The only one I personally own is their lowfat book, which I love! I lived off that book last winter! Helped me lose alot of weight because they have all the nutritional info but really nice big portions!

I also subscribe to Cooking Light and get a ton of recipes out of there. You probobly would benefit most from their website so you could search on all their vege meals, and they have alot.

HTH!
Shelley

·
Registered
769 Posts
We've gotten a lot of use out of the Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook, and we also really like The Greens Cookbook (recipes based on dishes served at the famous veggie restaurant in San Francisco, The Greens ... OT ... although, surprisingly, I was underwhelmed by their food when I ate there once. It was a shame b/c their recipes are really excellent.)

I'll second (or third, or fourth ...) the Moosewoods are excellent!!

Also, when we lived in Wisconsin, we used to frequent the most wonderful restaurant, called the Cheese Factory Restaurant (don't be fooled by the name ... they didn't just serve things with cheese
). They had some of the most unique and delicious recipes. You can get their cookbook at their Web site: http://www.cookingvegetarian.com/

Hope your road to vegetarianism is paved with lots o' yummy, new dishes!
K

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook and Simply Heavenly.

The first one is by the community Ina Mae Gaskin is a part of, the second is by Abbott Gregory Burke. SH is sadly out of print, but it's really easy to find used copies online.

I don't know that I could be vegetarian without these two books, and I've been a vegetarian a looong time.

I also like Vegan Vittles a whole lot.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts