Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the doulas in our group found that apparently the FDA has put stop to stores being allowed to carry black and blue cohosh both, they may carry one or the other. So for instance, Whole Foods has the black and our clients have to go down the road to Drug Emporium to get the blue.

Anyone know why this is?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
The FDA themselves list no such requirement (best I can tell), so I wonder where this doula is getting this information from. Could be a store policy or just availability issues but I do not think it is the FDA.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
I am not finding the recommendation on the FDA web site either- my guess is who ever is ordering for the stores thinks this is a way to keep from appearing like they are party to use of these herbs together for induction/abortion purposes- I wonder if they have castor oil

·
Registered
12,040 Posts
Strange. I thought the cohoshes were not FDA regulated so why would the FDA make rules about them like that? If they didn't want people buying them they would pull them from the shelves, not sell one at one location and another at another location. That is silly. Anyone can drive to two stores.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the doula is also a L&D nurse in one of our local hospitals. I don't know for sure where she got her info, but she's friends with the manager of Whole Foods...so it seems he might have told her why they are just carrying one of the cohoshes now. I can't find anything on that at all. All I've found is that the FDA hasn't 'approved' the cohoshes. Maybe it is a recommendation and not an order from FDA and Whole Foods has made it a mandatory thing.... i dunno

1 - 6 of 6 Posts