Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p><a href="http://abcnews.go.com/Health/breast-milk-fda-weighs-risks-human-milk-banks/story?id=12327503" target="_blank">http://abcnews.go.com/Health/breast-milk-fda-weighs-risks-human-milk-banks/story?id=12327503</a></p>
<p> </p>
<p>I dont have time to write an actual post - I am late for my math class...</p>
<p>but this sucks.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My girls were both donor milk fed.</p>
<p>My second never had a drop of formula because of milkshare</p>

·
Registered
467 Posts
<p>That is just awful. I banked milk for 3 months while my son was on a PICC line and it was one of the best experiences I have had. It is such an important org and should be supported</p>

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
So when are they going to formally speak out against the risks posed by formula? Diarrhea? Death? Suddenly milk donation is bad because they realized they're not getting money from it, right? Even WHO agrees with milk donation. How about instead of warning against it, they help cover the cost of testing and get rid of the cost of buying milk through these banks-exorbitant for most people. I have offered up milk on EOF and am open about volunteering to be tested, of course. I can not personally afford the tests but am willing to undergo them. It's not like the milk is being sold, either. I mean, really, how many babies have contracted HIV through milk donation? I found the article to be a good one, though.

Reactions: SashaBreeze

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
<p>It was a very good article, there are risks to donor milk, but screening, or even light processing can calm those fears. Hopefully it won't scare people away.</p>

·
Registered
596 Posts
<p>I thought it was a very informative article, and not negative toward donor milk.  It was about the push for regulation and testing of milk.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I didn't know that milk bank testing wasn't universal.  I assumed that all milk is tested the same way blood is in blood banks.  All it will take is one case of a baby getting a disease from someone else's breastmilk, and the entire industry will be under fire. Although milk banks have grown in popularity over the years, I don't think milk donation is mainstream enough for there to be continued public demand if something bad happens.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>It could be a good thing that the FDA is getting involved.  It means they are taking milk donation seriously as a real health issue.  It's no longer "under the radar", in a sense.</p>

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<p>I am mixed.  Under the radar keeps regulation out.</p>
<p>When I had my second daughter, we had to have a bit of a go-round in the hospital on whether or not she could have donor milk.  We *knew* I would not produce milk or enough (I only transfer about 3 cc's a feed and pump not much more)</p>
<p>We should not have said anythign but they were having a really hard time with us having donor milk.  I had brought preemie colostrum with me.  The FDA getting uptight about it could pose problems in the future.</p>

·
Registered
13 Posts
<p>I too am torn on this.  I think that the larger banks should be regulated, but I don't think that means you cut off small, community based donations where mothers know each other and make their own decisions. </p>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts