Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an upcoming flight and between feeling very hot and like I can't breathe and fear of vomiting, I am really anxious and am seeking out what you all could recommend as a natural thing that I could take to help me.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Been there done that. The day before we left to fly to Guatemala I broke out in hive like rashes from being so nervous. I hated flying, with Olivia I had to get on an airplane 8 times to get her. 8 times. Here is what I did.

I would try to tell myself not to worry about and would say well I can start worrying when we park at the airport, then when we would get there I would say well no use getting excited until we actually board the plane, then it was when we took off, then it was until we hit turbulance, and then until we land. It sounds crazy but it worked for me. Also take ginger pills for motion sickness and I did take dramamine a few times when i felt a little nauseous. I suggest you bring with a CD player or something and get a book on tape or nature sounds to take your mind off of it. Wear comfy clothes and have an assortment of stuff with you in your carryon that may help. I always bring a hankie because blowing my nose equalizes my ears, also bring gum, water, and a few snacks. Good luck.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Maybe you could take the bach flower remedy? That is supposed to be good. I always focus on breath, just breathing in and out slowly, also telling myself a story to distract. Once we can, (up to 10k feet) I get a cd in the cd player and put on music that is calming (right now I like the Curious george cd, the latter part is very comforting to me.) Just comfort things, that make you feel peaceful. Breathing helps alot, so I don't get panicky, I've flown alot this year and last, and take off and landing are always the worst. Biggest hugs to you.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I understand where you're coming from. I am a terrible flyer. I would have awful panic attacks at the thought of flying.I agree with the pp about breathing. I started doing yoga and learned how to do deep breathing exercises properly. I cannot even tell you how much it helped. Now, when I fly I just kind of lose myself in breathing. The other thing that happened is that I was finally able to let go somehow. I am not a religious person though I consider myself a spiritual person. After my ds was born I learned how to let go and let the universe (or whatever god/higher power/etc. is out there) be in charge.....I just accepted that whatever would happen would just happen whether I was freaking out and white-knuckling it at 30,000 feet or not.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I was struggling with general anxiety forever. 9 years ago I bought a set of tapes that presumably help you to cope with various issues, such as panic attacks, obsessive thinking, fears etc. Every time I have a problem with something I found that listening to the tape and realizing that there are many people around me have the same issues helps. Now I do not use them all the time, may be a once every few months, but I have few tapes in my car (just in case) and every time I travel I pack one or two and during situation when I feel "it is coming" I listen.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did just go out and buy Rescue Remedy, too. What specific breathing exercises worked for you? Did you count to 100 or what did you focus on? I'll be flying by myself and I don't feel well when I feel crowded and can't get to fresh air...if someone could just hit me over the head with a mallet...
:

·
Registered
994 Posts
Turn on that air thing that is over your head, I am the same way, can't stand that close feeling. I always have that air going full stop, maybe pointed slightly away.
For breathing, a simple way is breathe in through the nose, feel the breath go down to the belly, hold a mo, then slowly exhale, you can do this in counts of ten breaths, just focus on breath and counting, that's one simple way. It's like one thing you can control in this situation, as someone said, you can breathe your way through anything, take it one breath at a time. I also plug my ears, somehow not hearing all those weird noises, the landing gear, the engine noise changing also helps me, I just focus on breath and quiet. I must look weird! Who cares.

·
Premium Member
4,647 Posts
My mom taught me this breathing trick and I use it all the time (I even used it during labor w/ DS - it gave me something to focus on).

Breathe in for 4 seconds and then breathe out for 8. If I'm feeling really anxious, I breathe in for 5, 6, 7, 8 and then just double it for breathing out. I know it's silly, but it works way better than counting for me and really makes me regulate my breathing. It's definitely a focus thing.

Good luck - I hope you enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I feel very nervous, too. I found this course recommended somewhere and thought I would pass it on. It's a free online fear-of-flying course developed by an airline captain. I haven't tried it yet, but I will before my flight down to L.A. in late August. Let us know if it works for you.

http://www.fearofflyinghelp.com/

I really hope this helps!

Alis

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
To hell with natural, I take drugs when I fly!
Get a prescription from my doctor. Last time it wasn't enough of a dose so this time I'm going to have him up it. I was worried the first time - that I'd become addicted to it (yeah, on the TWO days - there and back - that I'd be using it) so had him give me a very small dose. It really didn't do much for me then.

I won't take Tylenol for a headache - but I'll drug up when I fly! The one time I flew and freaked out was enough for me...

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have a phobia of flying and do take drugs when I fly but I wanted to recommend a book that helps with the anticipatory anxiety as well as the fear during the flight. It is called Flying Without Fear by Duane Brown. There is also a whole section about coping while on the plane that explains every noise and procedure which always puts me at ease. Anyway, I know you are looking for something to take but I thought this might be helpful as well. Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts