Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
before my dd was so um..independant

i used to lay the carrier on my bed, lay her in it and then sort of leanb back and do the waist straps then CAREFULLY pic her up with one hand on her and one on the straps and pull them up. there was a short distance between she and i and the soft bed. it was pretty easy. then i did the tops straps and we were good to go.
now that she is one, i can hoist her up there pretty easily. it takes time, and once they learn what you are doing they "help" ya.
my 2 yo dd says "up up!" as soon as she sees me get the mei tais out.
or a sling for that matter

but practice makes perfect.
also the couch works. if you put the baby on the couch and you sort of kneel. put pillows around for extra confidence. if you feel better about it, it will go better.
good luck mama. you will be amazed at all you can get accomplished around the house with dc on your back!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I think the trick to putting your baby on your back by yourself really is just practice and confidence. Have someone next to you to "spot" you in case anything goes wrong, but instruct him/her not to help unless baby's in danger. What I did for my dd was prop her on the bed while I tied the mt straps around my waist. Then I sat down on the bed. I pickedup my dd and carefull swung her around the side of my body onto my back as I leaned forward. I steadied her with one hand while still leaning forward, and with my other hand, I pulled the fabric up between her legs. Then, once she was held in by the fabric, I pulled the straps over my shoulder. At that point, she was secure with me holding the straps and I could stand up. The rest just involves tying the straps (I wear her backpack style). You definitely can do it! It really will get easier. My dd loves being on my back. I put her on my back all the time at home (she's 5 months). A lot of moms are so good at it they can put babies on their backs in parking lots (something I aspire to in the future).

·
Registered
111 Posts
Funny you should post this! About an hour ago I looked at the back carry instructions on the Kozy website and attempted my first back carry with my 7 week old (alone...dh is at work). I got her halfway on my shoulder and chickened out!!! I think you definitely need to have a spotter until you get good at it!

·
Registered
226 Posts
It all depends how old DC is. If I was trying a back carry with a mei tai for the first time with a newborn/infant, I'd be pretty intimidated, too.

With my 17 month-old (or any baby old enough for the hip carry, I just start him on my hip and slide him around to my back.

That said, it's definitely a good idea to have a spotter/helper the first few times. Oh, and use a mirror! It really helps to get an idea of what it feels and looks like when you've got it right or wrong.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
When I was putting my 2 wk old on my back the first time (without instructions, I was coming up with my own instructions and winging it as I went along) I used a mirror. I hardly ever use a spotter (though I do recommend it, but find that they are best to spot only, not try to help). A mirror is really handy.

Also know that any of the "methods" for putting your baby on your back can be done while sitting on a bed or sofa. Even the toss method (which is what I use to get a newborn on my back in the high back carry).

After you get more comfy with putting them on your back it will be like second nature!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just wanted to share that I did my first back carry with my 8 week old dd today (using my beautiful Windy Day kozy). At first I tried to do the toss method but I just wasn't getting it. So then I laid my dd on the MT on the bed, sat in front and tied the bottom straps and then brought the top straps up. Worked beautifully!

Thanks for giving me the confidence!

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxcdingmomma
It all depends how old DC is. If I was trying a back carry with a mei tai for the first time with a newborn/infant, I'd be pretty intimidated, too.

With my 17 month-old (or any baby old enough for the hip carry, I just start him on my hip and slide him around to my back.

I have done that with my 13 week old for a month now!
I mean, I started with him T2T and then slowly rotate him to my back

I found that much easier...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.