Mothering Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://news.stanford.edu/news/2015/july/vaccine-court-engstrom-070615.html
Federal program for vaccine-injured children is failing, Stanford scholar says
A Stanford professor has found that the federal Vaccine Injury Compensation Program has not lived up to its original goals of providing "simple justice" to children injured by vaccines. Lengthy delays and an adversarial tone characterize the program.

BY CLIFTON B. PARKER

A Stanford law scholar says a no-fault alternative dispute resolution system for resolving vaccine injury claims is not working as intended.
The safety net that Congress created to protect children who suffer from vaccine injury is not working as intended, a Stanford law professor has found.

"The bottom line is that the Vaccine Injury Compensation Program was supposed to offer 'simple justice' to vaccine-injured children. But it has largely failed to do so," wrote Stanford law Professor Nora Freeman Engstrom in a new research article.

·
Registered
24,722 Posts
No kidding.

I suggest we go back to the product liability frame. So what if the cost of vaccines skyrocket? So what if vax companies go out of business?

We have Barbara Coe Fischer to thank for this because she lobbied heavily for it back in the early 1980s. I remember Dr. Mendelsohn saying that it would not work, and he was correct. There was a promise of making vaccines safer and "greener", and Dr. Mendelsohn that would not work either, and again, he was correct.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No kidding.

I suggest we go back to the product liability frame. So what if the cost of vaccines skyrocket? So what if vax companies go out of business?

We have Barbara Coe Fischer to thank for this because she lobbied heavily for it back in the early 1980s. I remember Dr. Mendelsohn saying that it would not work, and he was correct. There was a promise of making vaccines safer and "greener", and Dr. Mendelsohn that would not work either, and again, he was correct.
i think if they went out of business , we'd just do business with china for them instead....

·
Registered
18,830 Posts
http://news.stanford.edu/news/2015/july/vaccine-court-engstrom-070615.html
Federal program for vaccine-injured children is failing, Stanford scholar says
A Stanford professor has found that the federal Vaccine Injury Compensation Program has not lived up to its original goals of providing "simple justice" to children injured by vaccines. Lengthy delays and an adversarial tone characterize the program.

BY CLIFTON B. PARKER
Someone should let Dorit know. She thinks it is working wonderfully!

·
Registered
24,722 Posts
That is because she is not on the plaintiff side of anything in vaccine court.

That POV changes everything.

She is going after herbs and vitamins next with Sen Pan since they are not tested as much as vaccines are.

·
Registered
18,830 Posts
That is because she is not on the plaintiff side of anything in vaccine court.

That POV changes everything.

She is going after herbs and vitamins next with Sen Pan since they are not tested as much as vaccines are.
Those carefully managed clinical trials are very expensive. Just screening out all the babies or children who might have reactions...

·
Registered
18,830 Posts
Yes, as we've seen in the last few months, there is increasing "science" demonstrating that much of what looked like vaccine injuries really wasn't. I've been impressed by the explanations:

SIDS -- we still don't know what causes this, but if it follows vaccines it can never be connected to vaccines

Brain damage -- a study of 14 children showed that it was all a hereditary syndrome, not due to the old whole cell pertussis vaccine

And so on.

Reactions: applejuice

·
Registered
18,830 Posts
Oddly, adults, especially adults "injured" by the flu vaccine ARE getting compensated. More often than children. I wonder why?
The CDC sort of admits that it happens: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/guillainbarre.htm

The background rate for GBS in the Unites States is about 80 to 160 cases of GBS each week, regardless of vaccination. The data on the association between GBS and seasonal flu vaccination are variable and inconsistent across flu seasons. If there is an increased risk of GBS following flu vaccination it is small, on the order of one to two additional GBS cases per million doses of flu vaccine administered.
How many million doses of flu vaccine are administered in the US each year? https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/vaccinesupply.htm
I get 155.3 million doses, which would work out to somewhere between 155 and 310 cases of GB.

https://www.hrsa.gov/sites/default/...mpensation/data/monthly-stats-august-2019.pdf shows over 3,500 cases of injury from flu vaccine compensated by the program since 2006. Some of those are injection injuries, of course, but it is interesting that adults are being treated more tenderly than children.

Any thoughts?

Reactions: applejuice
1 - 10 of 10 Posts