Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had thrush (though not bad cases) with all of my babies (this being BF baby #5) and I managed. This time however it is the most excruciating pain and is pretty much unbearable. I am crying with every feed and she comfort nurses so that is every 15 to 30 minutes it seems (she is 3 weeks old).

I thought we just had a bad latch at first but now the pain doesn't go away after the first initial latch and it hurts deep in the breast even after the feeding. Last night I noticed little tiny blisters all over the areolas and white on the nipples themselves that can't be washed away.

I hold my breast and wait for her to open her mouth and then hesitate and it takes several minutes for me to work up the courage to let her latch on because of the pain I know is coming. I just feel like giving up. I painted my nipples with gentian violet last night and of course, now the inside of her mouth is purple as well. I don't know what else to do. Any tips pls? Also, what can I do in the meantime until this pain subsides a little? Also, note that a trip to the Dr or anywhere else is not possible until we get some crazy insurance mix up fixed so we are uninsured for a few more days at least.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I went through this with my son. I was on antibiotics after his birth and he got terrible thrush. I pumped as much as I could stand and used a bottle in between so that I wasn't ready to scream and didn't dread nursing so much. I was started taking acidophillis around the clock and bought the powdered stuff that I could add to the bottles for him to try to clear it up as fast as possible. I spent a lot of time crying and hoping that it would get better. IT DID. It wasn't perfect, but it certainly helped us through in the beginning. And I continued to nurse until he was almost 3!

I certainly feel your pain and hope that you both can get better as quickly as possible!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.