Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our rental lease is up in our apartment and we found a new rental in a townhouse. When we first saw the townhouse and learned about the price, we loved it. It's in the area we are looking for, affordable monthly rent, and is a very beautiful end unit with trees. The inside is lovely and homey. Better than anything else we were looking at, we got the lease and feel we scored!

Now that the lease is signed, I was lying in bed tonight feeling anxious. Like a lonely/scared feeling in the bottom of my stomach. It sounds so silly, but I'm used to our small one-floor two bedroom apartment where my toddler is always right nearby -- when I'm cooking if he's in his room its right around the corner and I can hear him. He can run into his room to grab something really quickly. I'm nervous about being in the kitchen while he's upstairs in his room now. I won't be able to see/hear him as well. What if he tries to carry a toy down and slips? The bathrooms are up there. Also I'm worried about the 2nd story windows and balcony (but plan to child proof with locks etc.). I'm worried that the townhouse is an end unit and although there is a big grassy area, I'm worried my toddler will run off the grass into the fairly busy street. I also just feel lonely thinking about being in the basement doing laundry while my toddler is two floors away, or even having my husband down there while we are upstairs. Am I overthinking this??

I'm worried too about how the monthly payment is working out -- the rent itself is fine, but the guy wants us to pay the last month's rent plus a security deposit. He agreed to let us pay those two items over the first five months, but that means that for those first five months the monthly check we are writing is several hundred more than the actual rent. Granted, we won't have to pay rent the last month and hope to get most of the security deposit back, but still. We can afford that amount, but it is just more than we are used to.

I think I'm just fearing change, having those "life is changing and what if, what if, what if" jitters. Maybe once all our furniture gets set up and we live there for a few weeks, it will start to feel like home. But right now I feel anxious and lonely! Like I want to stay in our cozy tiny little one floor apartment. What's up with me??

guilty.gif

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Congrat's on the new place! Don't let fear get in the way of your happiness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngspiritmom View Post

Our rental lease is up in our apartment and we found a new rental in a townhouse. When we first saw the townhouse and learned about the price, we loved it. It's in the area we are looking for, affordable monthly rent, and is a very beautiful end unit with trees. The inside is lovely and homey. Better than anything else we were looking at, we got the lease and feel we scored!

Quote:
Now that the lease is signed, I was lying in bed tonight feeling anxious. Like a lonely/scared feeling in the bottom of my stomach. It sounds so silly, but I'm used to our small one-floor two bedroom apartment where my toddler is always right nearby -- when I'm cooking if he's in his room its right around the corner and I can hear him. He can run into his room to grab something really quickly. I'm nervous about being in the kitchen while he's upstairs in his room now. I won't be able to see/hear him as well. What if he tries to carry a toy down and slips? The bathrooms are up there.
Can you make him a play area nearby the kitchen? I would'nt leave my toddler upstairs while I'm working downstairs either.

Quote:
Also I'm worried about the 2nd story windows and balcony (but plan to child proof with locks etc.). I'm worried that the townhouse is an end unit and although there is a big grassy area, I'm worried my toddler will run off the grass into the fairly busy street. I also just feel lonely thinking about being in the basement doing laundry while my toddler is two floors away, or even having my husband down there while we are upstairs. Am I overthinking this??
Are you allowed to put up a temporary fence of some sort?

How long will you be down in the basement for laundry. the whole time or just to change loads?

Again, you can make him a play are down there with you or how about bringing the laundry upstairs to sort and fold.

Quote:
I'm worried too about how the monthly payment is working out -- the rent itself is fine, but the guy wants us to pay the last month's rent plus a security deposit. He agreed to let us pay those two items over the first five months, but that means that for those first five months the monthly check we are writing is several hundred more than the actual rent. Granted, we won't have to pay rent the last month and hope to get most of the security deposit back, but still. We can afford that amount, but it is just more than we are used to.
1st, last and deposit is pretty standard here. That's good you're able to split it up.

Just remember that it's an actual months payment and you'll be getting most the deposit back anyways.

Quote:
I think I'm just fearing change, having those "life is changing and what if, what if, what if" jitters. Maybe once all our furniture gets set up and we live there for a few weeks, it will start to feel like home. But right now I feel anxious and lonely! Like I want to stay in our cozy tiny little one floor apartment. What's up with me??

guilty.gif

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.