Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping to get a few ideas about how to look more "together" when I head out to work.

Right now, I have overgrown eyebrows, hair badly in need of highligting, and a closet full of ill-fitting clothes. I'm somewhat embarrassed to say that I wash my hair every three days or so. Many days I leave the house with toddler snot or toothpaste smears on my clothes even though I try to get dressed at the last possible moment.

I can't seem to find the time or energy to do anything about my disheveled appearance. How do you all do it? Any strategies?

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
I pluck my eyebrows whenever I get a chance (car, work, bathroom), I take showers every morning, but only wash my hair every other day, and I have a 3 sizes wardrobe (my skinny size, my average size, and my chubby size) so I can cover whatever size I am. I've acquired these clothes over the years, even though each time I lose a bunch of weight I'm tempted to throw out the bigger sizes, I've learned my lesson when I'm forced to re-buy them when I go up a dress size.

It's hard to be a working mamma- see the post I just created! http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1008470

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I feel your pain!

I don't wash my hair much either, but I LOVE dry shampoo (can also use corn starch) - it takes away the greasy look. It can build up over time, so I'll occasionally do a vinegar rinse to take off the buildup, but it saves me a lot of time.

I will do a major pluck job every couple weeks to get my eyebrows in shape and then just maintain as I have a few seconds here or there.

I try to keep my wardrobe very basic so that it doesn't look too outdated over time, and I'll get multiple items of the same thing if it fits and I like it so that I can just throw it on. Then I'll get colorful scarves, large accessory pieces, things that I can find cheap (like at vintage/thrift stores) that make me happy and that dress up the outfit. I'm lucky to live around a lot of nice areas so the consignment stores are awesome!

HTH... Do you think there are other things draining your energy, like health or work?

·
Registered
761 Posts
I was feeling this way until I did three things:

1. Buy new clothes! I gained a good ten pounds during my first year of work. I was really small to start with, so I didn't really need to lose weight. But, even if you are a size 6 or 8, wearing clothes that don't fit is uncomfortable and unattractive, and will make you feel fat. Don't count on losing weight--just accept who you are and take care of yourself! I know it can be hard to spring for new clothes, but if you at all can, I suggest you do it. One of the few good things about the current economy is that the price of consumer goods is falling. Very good deals are to be had. I also suggest trying to find clothes that need minimal ironing and don't need to be dry cleaned.

Once I got myself about 4 new work outfits that actually fit, I felt so much better about myself!

2. Get eyebrows threaded every two weeks at lunch. If you have people in the area who will do this, it is a great technique. It takes about 10 minutes and costs about $10. You have to find someone good, though, otherwise it will HURT. it shouldn't be bad if the person knows what they are doing. If you can't find a threader, try waxing every few weeks. It is fast and cheap also. I have VERY bushy eyebrows--and I have to go every two weeks. Many people only do it once a month.

3. Get a low maintenance "do." I scrapped my layers that had to be blow dried and curled every morning. Consider letting the highlights go. So we don't look like a movie star--at least we can have clean, brushed hair.

Something else I did when my kiddos were smaller--took a bath with them. I was able to wash my hair every day that way and still have time to spend with them. Surprisingly, I found the berry-bubbles pleasant.

Anyway--I feel for you. I feel disheveled half the time too. I see my colleagues without kids and their toned bodies, and perfect makeup and get a little down. But then I think--but they don't have kids! And believe me, your children would love you if you bathed once a week and wore mu-mus every day.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Haircuts and clean hair are priorities to me. I just started working again so I got a haircut before I went back. Normally I go on my lunch hour. I also try to have at least four outfits that fit. Even if you wear the same ones over & over it doesn't matter. My eyebrows if not getting waxed then I pluck a minute here & there. I start work at 8:30 and get up a 6 to shower, do hair & makeup. The kids get up at 7 and then I can concentrate on getting them ready. Close on just before we leave. I may look tired (because I am) but I would be really self conscious about going to work with my hair not done. Something else is that I lay my clothes out the night before, otherwise I end up not matching in something that doesn't fit.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I found a dress shop whose stuff I love and I pretty consistently shop there. Almost all other catalogs get chucked.

I also buy same thing in two or more colors if it fits and I like it (like I have two skirts; one blue, one brown and some lands ends cords in four colors (purchased over the past three years). So I almost have a uniform -- I know what goes with what and I just vary the color.

I second easy care -- love throwing things in the wash! I second using scarves and costume jewelry to accent simple basic wardrobe. Try Marshalls for scarves.

I don't do stockings (just socks) and I wear very practical comfortable shoes since I am on my feet *all* day.

I don't do make-up. I tried, but I get dressed in the dark because by morning the kids are asleep in my bed, so it isn't worth it even though I know I'd look better. I save makeup for special occasions.

I do get my brows done once a month or so and in summer a pedicure does wonders for me.

I do shower every morning (5-10 minutes). Up at 5:30; dressed and downstairs making lunches by 5:55. Kids up by 6:15. Out the door by 7:15.

So, in summary -- find a store whose stuff you consistently like. Buy more than one of things that look great on you. Accessorize. And bathe as often as you feel comfortable. Oh, and I also second -- never mind fancy colors/highlights -- better to spend money on a really excellent, easy maintenance cut.

GL,

M

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I work nights now but when I worked days (and I know getting up at 5am with kids is no easy feat) I would shower and wash my hair at night before bed even after working 13 hours and not getting home until 8pm....that way in the morning I would just have to brush and flat iron my hair and put on my makeup. But i"m the type who can't even SLEEP if I haven't taken a shower everyday, I get grossed out by greasy hair! I don't wear a lot of makeup though (never have) just Bare Minerals and some mascara, cream blush and lip gloss--3 mins and I'm done and look good.

I'm an RN so I wear scrubs everyday so that part is easy thankfully.

When my kids were little I would take baths/showers with them sometimes and could wash my hair and stuff then. Get a cute, wash and wear type hairstyle until they get older.

But really, WHY don't you have time to wash your hair/take a shower? What is getting in the way of you being able to take 15-20 mins a day for yourself to look and feel good? YOu need to make that a priority because it will make yourself feel better! No matter how busy or tired I am my bath/shower is a priority to me because I know how good I feel! You can always just stick your head in the kitchen sink for a quick wash! LOL!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all sooo much for the ideas! I really like the clothing ideas in particular. Buying multiples of things that fit well is a brilliant one; I'm six feet tall and have a heck of a time finding clothes that fit well, so I often end up wearing the same outfit way too much.

I'm going to make a standing appointment for a monthly brow wax (or thread, great idea) and bimonthly haircut. I've been highlighting because I'm trying to grow out my grey hair to go lower maintenance in the long run, and the highlights help blend the grey. I'm also going to start accessorizing--I always admire other women's funky accessories, but I don't own a single scarf or piece of jewelry!

Anyway, you all have lifted my spirits and it doesn't seem quite so overwhelming or hopeless.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Hey my makeup routine is very similar! I love Bare Minerals, that with blush, mascara, eyeliner is all done in just a few minutes. That's a great idea for you to book appts ahead of time. You deserve it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.