Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm feeling frustrated today.
I like to be an independent kind of gal and I hate asking for handouts. I'm definitely getting more used to it than before, but it still is difficult.

Anyway, I'm in need of dental work and simply can't afford it. It's getting to the point of being painful, so I know it's not a "luxury." I called to see if I could get some help or a referral from the social agency, but because I'm not on welfare, I don't "qualify."

Then I called my dentist and was told that he "couldn't" give me a discounted rate. I must admit I was a little "ticked". Here's a man making a stupid amount of cash, living in a fancy house, etc. and he can't afford to help a client out? I guess all the goodwill towards men ended after Christmas.

Then the girl in his office suggested I could drive approx 200 miles to the dental school for cheaper work. I said something like, if I can't afford the work, how will I afford to get myself there & back, who will watch my kids while I have the work done and then how could we afford to stay over night?

I asked her what other people do when they have no money & need dental work and she suggested that I could just have the teeth extracted! I'm a 34 year old woman & I'm going to have my teeth pulled out because I can't afford some fillings? And then what, eat soup until I can afford to get false teeth?

YIKES!

Anyway, I haven't even come close to exhasuting all my options. There are other places and things I'm going to check into but I'm just feeling frustrated about the whole thing. It's difficult enough to have to ask for such things without some woman being so cold.

And don't even get me started on the annoyance I have about the fact that my ex will not ever face these issues. He sits in his brand new house with his brand new motorbike, playing golf and going on tropical holidays, while I feel humiliated asking for some help!

I am seriously considering finding a way to make lists of companies, businesses and others who have hearts and are willing to help out those who just need a little extra help at times (single parents, working poor, etc.) It would be great to find that there are people who truly care about others and be able to provide a list of reputable services that would be willing to give others help when they truly need it.

Ok, I'm done my ranting & venting. I think I just needed to get it all out.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
LJ, have you considered calling around and asking dentists if they would do the work on a payment plan?

I know several years ago when I did not have dental insurance, I needed work done and it was going to cost around $900. My regular dentist would not do it without receiving payment up front, but I found a new, younger dentist who was willing to take payments. He was great, and I use him to this day.

It's always hard to have to ask for help. I had to do it all summer before my x started paying child support and I know firsthand how it hurts your pride.

·
Premium Member
8,592 Posts
That stinks LJ. I agree with Candace- is there anyone who would do it on a payment plan? I thought for sure I was going to have to go to the dentist last month. My lower jaw was throbbing and everytime I touched my face it hurt like heck. I had no idea how I was going to pay for it but after maybe 2 weeks it went away. I hope you find a way.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice and for just reading my post.
I'm feeling better today and I may just put some of your ideas to work.
I am a pretty determined woman, so I know I'll figure something out.
I mostly just needed to vent!
Thanks again, ladies!

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I'm so sorry L.J. I was faced with a similar problem (no insurance, ex denied me dental care for 6 years, needed crowns/bridges/root canals etc.) and did find a dentist that worked with a discount plan for non-insurance clients. I would definitely call around and see what you can find.

Take care!

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
Welcome to the poor life
I'm getting a tooth extracted next weekend becasue its totally gone now becasue I couldn't afford the crown I needed after I had the root canal
I'll end up losing 2 more unless I get the moolah for 2 more crowns and gum surgery (almost $2000)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.