Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the official recommendation everywhere around here is for all pregnant women to get a flu shot, BUT no one seems to have the special low-mercury varieties that are safer for children and pregnant women (my doctors don't, at least). This is frustrating to me. I don't think I should have to just live with a dose of mercury.

But, my MW said if I get a flu shot it gives the baby immunity for his first 6 months. Now I feel guilty for not getting it. Is this really important? Do babies typically get the flu? Why do you ladies think? At this point, I am feeling guilty if I do get it (b/c of the mercury) and guilty if I don't (because I could be cheating the baby).
:

· Registered
1,489 Posts
Our bodies are designed to fight these things off on their own. Eat right, live a healthy lifestyle, and there is no need for artificial immunity.

Vaccinations and antibiotics don't allow a baby to develop a normal immune system. Trying to keep it simple...there are different types of immune cells (immunoglobulins) that our body can make. The body will make the kind that promotes allergies when exposed to vaccines and antibiotics. The immune system is primarily established in the first two years of life. If a parent decides to vaccinate at all, it is wise to delay until at least 2 yrs old. (I don't vaccinate my kids at all.)

IMO, not only are you making the right choice not to get a flu shot because of the mercury (horrible for someone weaker...babies, elderly, and that's who they market it to), but because you're helping your child develop a better immune system by being exposed naturally. Being exposed doesn't mean you will get the flu. But if you do, you are still building a better immune system. There is no guarantee you wouldn't get it with the flu shot either. (A topic all of it's own! It's not nearly as effective as it's touted to be.)

OT but kind of applies...an elderly father of one of my patients just passed away after a 10 day steady decline in health upon receiving a flu shot. Flu shots are not healthy and should not be give to people who are weak.

· Registered
729 Posts
I declined my flu shot too. Fully agree with PP. After some going back and forth with my Dr. (telling her I didn't want it, with her insisting I should have it) I finally asked her what could be the worst thing that would happen to my baby if I got the flu...after a long moment of silcence, my infuriated Dr said the flu could kill us (baby and I) both!!
I didn't bother to ask what the chances of that hapenning would be and where she got her facts from. I simply changed Drs.

· Registered
342 Posts
I'm not getting one and actually. . .noone has asked me to or mentioned it at all! I wonder it that's normal?? I was at my midwife's today and she didn't say anything. I do work in a school so it probably wouldn't be the worst idea ever, but I'm just not into the flu shot, read too many bad things.

· Registered
1,695 Posts
Don'tyou just love how the research changes to fit the market? When I was pregnant with my first child 6 years ago, pg women (and small infants as well) were told NOT to get flu vaccine as the risk to the unborn child was unknowable, and it was possibly dangerous to pregnant women and babies. They didn't test on that population, ect... Now suddenly EVERYONE should have a flu vaccine because any year now the flu will turn into a menacing global pandemic that could wipe the human population from the face of the EARTH!!!

· Registered
585 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KelliHope View Post
I'm not getting one and actually. . .noone has asked me to or mentioned it at all! I wonder it that's normal?? I was at my midwife's today and she didn't say anything. I do work in a school so it probably wouldn't be the worst idea ever, but I'm just not into the flu shot, read too many bad things.
I've not had it mentioned either. And lord knows the flu gets around here it seems. I've never had the flu nor received the vax. I think it you work in healthcare or some field around a lot of ill people it may not be a bad idea, otherwise.......

Here some stuff I found, this data goes both ways, but its all recent mostly since this sept study of only 340 women came out.

Personally, I don't feel thats a large amount of women, to really get strong numbers. So its a choice on what you feel is riskier. I imagine if you plan to breastfeed, babywear and generally keep yourself healthy, your still keeping your risk low.

Here is some info about the new and it looks like only study according to this article that shows a reduction. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0917095346.htm
It also states that only 15% of pregnant women typically get vaccinated, and that this study was of 340 women. That is showed a 63% reduction in occurrence of flu in newborns, but doesn't state what the rate is to begin with

Or here we go, better yet, a better explaination
In the test of 340 pregnant women in Bangladesh, the shots cut the risk of flu by 63 percent and the risk of respiratory illness overall by 29 percent. There were six confirmed cases of influenza in the vaccinated group, compared to 16 among the mothers given a different vaccine.

why Bangladesh I wonder? Seem like comparing available health resources there to ours here wouldn't give the best results. Seems they have a real problem with birth flu though when trying to find info!

Here is a chart with some stats on occurrences of death from flu and RSV in different age groups.
http://www.respiratoryreviews.com/ap...03_deaths.html (from 2003)

this link mentions something I'm fining a lot http://www.babycenter.com/204_get-a-...ys_10301789.bc

"Newborns have the highest rate of hospitalizations due to influenza when compared to any other age group of children. Their rates of influenza-related hospitalization are similar to people age 80 and older. And, in some seasons, the influenza-associated mortality rate is highest among infants. We want to protect the newborn by vaccinating the entire family, and send parents home with one less thing to worry about," Walter said.

but even this statement begs to ask the question, how many people were observed to get these numbers? I find it amazing when reading studies how small some groups are!

· Registered
3,311 Posts
My OB has never asked me to get a flu shot while pg. Of course no one has ever asked me to get one ever. My OB won't even get one. weird that some would be so pushy about it. I wonder what would happen if you simply said you would go to your county dept of health for one. Would they be happy you were getting one (which you totally wouldn't) or would they be mad they weren't making money off it?

I am a conspiracy person...

· Registered
1,489 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamajody View Post
Don'tyou just love how the research changes to fit the market? When I was pregnant with my first child 6 years ago, pg women (and small infants as well) were told NOT to get flu vaccine as the risk to the unborn child was unknowable, and it was possibly dangerous to pregnant women and babies. They didn't test on that population, ect... Now suddenly EVERYONE should have a flu vaccine because any year now the flu will turn into a menacing global pandemic that could wipe the human population from the face of the EARTH!!!

Yeah. It's a big news story every year. I like how they pull the "vaccine shortage" every so often. At the same time doctors offices are calling their patients to get the shot because they have so many. It makes me sick. I have studies in my office that show the vaccine has been shown to be useless in infants and yet the recommendation from the AMA is still to get vaccinated. It makes me sick. It's all about the $$$, they certainly aren't interested in our health! In fact the sicker we get, the more money they make.

· Registered
585 Posts
my boss and I were discussing this morning differences between health care here and in places like Denmark, where her DH is from, and its the money thing. Its such big business here. Most of the vaccine studies the CDC cites were funded by pharmaceutical companies. How can that really be unbiased?

· Registered
105 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hallielynn01 View Post
my boss and I were discussing this morning differences between health care here and in places like Denmark, where her DH is from, and its the money thing. Its such big business here. Most of the vaccine studies the CDC cites were funded by pharmaceutical companies. How can that really be unbiased?
Not in your DDC but saw in new posts...

I always like to look at the UK's National Health Service when I have a question like this (I currently live temporarily in the US but am from the UK). Since patients get their healthcare for free, there is no question of making money out of handing out "treatments". For better or worse, you can be sure that they will only offer something if it is cost effective - ie. there is at least some evidence that it works and will save them money! In the UK, pregnant women are not offered the flu vaccine. The NHS have an article online about the recent Bangladesh study that was mentioned above that might be worth a read: http://www.nhs.uk/news/2008/09Septem...ctsbabies.aspx

· Registered
470 Posts
I've never gotten a flu shot as well.. we don't vaccinate dd, so why would I vaccinate myself. And my midwife has never even mentioned getting one??? I think you'd be doing more harm to yourself and your baby by getting one.

· Registered
1,020 Posts
I did not get a flu shot while pregnant and would never get one while pregnant.. Well I dont do them at all.

Please come over to the vaccine forum, you can learn a lot about vaccines for yourself and your little one.

· Registered
632 Posts
I've never had a flu shot, and have no intention of ever getting one, ESPECIALLY when my body is trying to grow a little one. I'm not convinced they are safe, and I don't want my baby exposed to something I'm not sure I would get for my (fully grown) self. My midwife is pretty against vaccinations in general, so it's never even been mentioned. I've had the flu this year, anyway (yuck!) so I guess I'm immune naturally now and hopefully my baby got some of the immunity passed to him.

· Registered
1,385 Posts
Never had one, never plan to. They are not only typically ineffective (they're a crap shoot--they guess which strains MIGHT be going around this season), but I wouldn't give it to my child, I certainly wouldn't expose a fetus to it. I'd consider it risking my baby's health TO get one, not the other way around.

· Premium Member
6,284 Posts
I haven't been offered one, and I've never gotten one before. I have gotten the flu, but I find that the best way to treat it is to rest alot and drink tons and tons of water. Thats my plan this year, although I am hoping not to get it, and will avoid contact with anyone who even has a stuffy nose b/c baby's and sickness don't seem to go well together. Anyway, my midwife hasn't suggested it, or even asked if I got one.

· Registered
3,922 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamajody View Post

: to everything she said. I only needed to hear it once, from a doctor, who said in 2002 to me, "Don't take it".

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.