Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I posted about this a couple weeks ago, but still feel lost. I decided to start dd on avacados, bananas and breastmilk, but am confused about when I should be feeding her. She still does on demand nursing (right now is stuffy and nursing way more frequently) and hasn't done really well eating the solids. Am I worried for no reason? Basically, here's my question: how do I know that my dd is not eating solids well because she's not ready as opposed to I'm offering them to her at the wrong time of day?

So confused

Zuri'smom

· Registered
760 Posts
If she is not doing really well with solids, as you said, maybe she's not ready. I think your little one is able to express interest in solids when ready. Such signs can include trying like heck to get at the food you are eating. I believe that the ability to sit up straight is very important in order for babes to swallow and gag up stuff they don't want. If it was me, I would wait until dd didn't have a stuffy nose before continuing to try solids. And if she's not interested, let it go. Breastmilk is all she really needs if she is healthy and not demanding solid foods.

I don't believe that the time of day matters that much, but I don't really know. I've always heard to try solids after breastfeeding (which could mean ANY time of day!!!) so babe isn't too hungry and doesn't get frustrated with first tries.

With my first, I felt a lot of pressure to start solids right a 6 months from everyone. I did and ds got sick for the first time soon after. I wish I had waited until HE showed me the signs, instead of listening to others. With my next I will play it more by ear.

Mary

· Registered
43,104 Posts
Good info about waiting until baby is showing that they're ready. Also I would always breastfeed first, as for the whole first year breastmilk should be the main nutrition, solids are just for fun. The one piece of advice I've heard is to try new foods in the morning, in case there is a reaction of some sort it's not in the middle of the night. How old is your baby?

-Angela

· Registered
12,261 Posts
With my first I made myself nuts, trying to 'follow the rules,' in re time of day, what & how much & all that stuff.

Feh.

Have since discovered that worry just makes my stomach hurt.

Have since discovered that it is much less worrisome if I just treat it like another 'activity' occasionally to be indulged in. Starting after 6 months, at some inspired moment when I get the urge :LOL I'll mash up a banana and let baby-of-the-moment have at it. Or bake a yam. Or or or or. You get the point.

And if some goes in, great. If not, also great. And when that activity is over, it's on to the next activity.

Doesn't matter what time of day it is. And if I don't get the inspiration to do it for another day or so, no big deal. Eventually we'll try it again. And sooner or later we'll try it again. Etc., etc., etc.

At some point it's going to go in more than not, so then will probably start with the finger food stuff. At which point it's much less 'mommy-intensive' ... well, except for the cleaning up part ... so it also doesn't make for worry. And then you can just set baby up with food whenever you set yourself up with food. Works fine.

All in all, it's not such a biggie. Don't worry. Be happy. And take lots of pictures. They look adorable with food all over their little selves.

:LOL

· Registered
882 Posts
we've been giving my dd solids for about 3 months now, she's breast fed and just not overly excited about it.......
she nibbles we sit down to supper ever night, most of the time it's more playing for her then eating. sometimes we sit down to other meals.same deal.
they are getting what they need and will eat when ready

· Registered
71 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. We were really relaxed about solids with my son, and tried the same kinds of foods at first (avocado, banana etc.) He ate *very* little for several months even though he had been grabbing at our plates for awhile, and then took in much more food. Babies know how much to eat, so as long as you offer healthy wholesome foods they'll take what they need. I'd second the idea of trying new foods in the a.m. because it can save you from losing sleep if the baby had a bad reaction to it.

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you to everyone who replied to my post. I'm so sorry I didn't let everyone know I'd read their replies sooner...I just finished up the semester for my grad program and had to put everything on hold until I got my work turned in.

After reading all your replies, I feel much more relaxed about the whole thing. I definately will not worry about getting little Z off of bm until SHE tells me she's ready. I loved the idea that solids (in the morning) are just another activity and that Zuri will tell me when it needs to be more. I got pressure from my gp this last week that Z would be low on iron if I don't start giving her solids, but I've read a lot on the forum and elsewhere that has said that's another scare tactic. The gp also suggested that I ignore Z at night because she's 'physiologically ready to sleep through the night' - I just ignored her advice! How does SHE know Z is ready?
Doesn't Z know better than anyone????

ANd the same goes for solids. I am now comfortable with letting her play for a while until she tells me - I need/want more non-bm food!

Oh, by the way, dh and I are actively searching for a new gp!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.