Mothering Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Mamas,

I've been working on moving my posterior baby to anterior this week. I went for my apt. with the OB and she confirmed that he's side/posterior (as my MW said on Monday).

Anyway, feeling just fine and then this afternoon I had a lot of pressure on my bladder and feel baby is lower. I just decided to lie down. I'm 36.4 today and this is my fourth, so I was not expecting the baby to drop until the day I go into labor.

I can't really say that he's dropped just that I'm uncomfortable standing or walking around.

Anyone else experiencing this?

I'm so hoping that this is just a position-thing and he waits a little while longer to join us!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm 35w.6d today. This baby has definitely not dropped. I know it's head down but other than that I'm not sure of the position.

Remind me again what anterior/posterior mean? I never can keep those straight, or sunny-side up...

I mostly feel like this baby is facing inward...the little hands seem to be punching inward and the most prominent part facing outward is its little bum. But, then again, once in awhile there's a foot that travels across my belly so it must be either sideways or facing outward during those times. Still lots of rolling around happening in there.

With my oldest son I distinctly knew the exact moment he dropped because it woke me out of a sound sleep. I still remember awakening suddenly and knowing absolutely what had happened without a hint of doubt. There was such a huge difference in his position. But, I didn't have a precise moment when I felt the second son dropping during his pregnancy. Go figure. This baby definitely hasn't dropped but I hope it's as distinctive of a moment as it was with the first.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I am distinctly uncomfortable too. :( It's also my 4th. I think the baby is head down and probably posterior, but I have a sinking suspicion that this child has gotten itself lodged in a rather uncomfortable position with it's head against my right hip/pelvic bone. I feel hiccups and they're low, but they're right up against my right hip bone, along with some sensations that feel very much like little hands punching me.
I also have that massive pressure/stabbing pain deep down low...cervix.

I don't know what advice to offer other than to keep following your midwife's suggestions for turning the baby. I'm trying some martial arts stuff my hubs taught me (something called "horse stance"??) and some of the spinning babies stuff. And possibly whining. Lots of whining to the hubs. ;-)

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
My baby is head down ish. She's diagonal half the time. During the ultrasound yesterday her head was to the side of my cervix.

I'm definitely pretty uncomfortable. I'm 194 lbs now. I have never weighed this much in my life and my joints keep reminding me of this. I was 15 lbs over my normal weight when I started this pregnancy at 140 lbs, now I'm 54 lbs heavier.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
My goodness. I'm so sorry I have so much company in the uncomfortable camp! I had been thanking my lucky stars (and completely puzzled!) that the SPD that has haunted me in all previous pregancies (THREE of them!) has really not been bothering me. I've had some pretty intense SI pain, but it is, for me, so much better than the fiery knife of SPD. And then, two weeks ago, the SPD joined the intense SI pain. I'm enormous. Like you, funfunkyfantastic, I started this pregnancy at the heaviest I've ever been, and gained almost 50lbs so far. I've gained 70-75lbs in other pregnancies, but our bodies are just not meant to be this heavy! Also, I don't know what happened to my legs, but they do NOT function. I was walking along the waterfront, attempting to keep my children in sight yesterday, and the amount of mental energy required to get my legs to move was astounding. Everything just feels heavy and very far away. It's very odd. I don't like feeling limited by my body, for sure. And, holy, the swelling. It's actually worst in the mornings, which is so odd. It too just really got noticeable/bothersome recently. Let's not even discuss my vulva. Holy heck.
So... 35+2 or 35+5 (I say 35+2, but my ob insists on 35+5, even though I have a known ovulation/conception date) is good enough for a baby to be born, right!? Ha. I don't actually believe a birth now would be best for baby, but I would really, really like to go a bit early. Like, 37 weeks? That would be good. Officially term, I make monster-sized babies, there's enough surfactant in there... all would be well. I have decided. It is therefore going to be. Right?! It really would be lovely to birth a baby-sized baby, instead of a 10lber. One can hope. I'm actually smaller this time, I think, than I've ever been before.
Oh land. I hope we all have lots of support, lots of rest time, pleasant family members and that the next few weeks are fairly quick. And filled with just enough moments of gratitude for this last bit of time with a babe on the inside. Those movements really are incredible, and it's pretty special to have this sort of relationship with a babe.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I think this thread is my new home for the rest of this pregnancy. :)
- the weight thing. Yes and yes to both FFF and quantumleap. I started out a good 40 lbs overweight and I've gained maybe 20. The second I got over 195 (I'm tipping over 200 now and really don't want to weigh myself any more ever again), I started feeling progressively worse. My 5'4" frame is NOT meant to be this heavy and I swear I feel every ounce.
- having a 37-weeker: @quantumleap this is EXACTLY my thought process at this point. The week of the 19th-25th we have a birthday party, a Rush concert (weeeee!!!) and dh has a work dinner. I will be 37 weeks on the 27th. At that point I will be within the safety zone for homebirth and as far as I'm concerned , this baby is welcome to make its appearance from that day on. So I am mentally saying I must and will stay *healthy* (non pre-eclamptic, moving, cleaning, functioning etc) and pregnant for the next 16 days. After that, anything can happen.
- the swelling. Sweet mother of mercy the swelling. I was ok and then a few days ago; my feet turned into giant pillows and they won't go back down. It's been super stressful around here lately between the broken washing machine, the clogged kitchen sink, a sudden invasion of ants and oh yeah, our transmission decided to die and needed a total rebuild (there goes $4k from our car that will fit four kids fund) ...and I've had a very mild headache off and on the last two days. My blood pressure is very normal so far (120/65 and 108/45 were the last two reasons ), but given my history of pre eclampsia ( 1st and 3rd babies), I'm worried. My strategy for now is to up the ante on my infusions and supplements, cut out sugar, get more protein and rest. I also plan on getting my house ship shape now just in case I do have to make an emergent trip to the hospital.

Crossing my fingers we can all hold it together until full term and then have nice healthy babies and easy deliveries.

Hugs and positive vibes to each of you. <3

·
Registered
218 Posts
We went to IKEA yesterday because after years of talking about it we're finally going to bite the bullet and get a king sized bed.

Anyway, I walked way too much yesterday and got into and out of way too many mattresses trying them out. I'd shlump over to another one my husband wanted me to try, wiggle onto it, maneuver into position, and then just about fall asleep when he'd come to pull me up and get me to try another.

I don't think mattress testing is a good idea when pregnant. He'd say, "I"m comfortable." and then I'd say, "All the same places ache but no new places ache." That was the best rating I could give any of them.

My feet don't seem to be swelling too badly but my hands are ridiculous. They're so stiff I can barely bend my fingers and the creases at the joints have about flattened out. At least one finger is always numb from carpal tunnel. Occasionally both hands go totally numb and that is utterly bizarre.

Taking magnesium/calcium every day has really helped ease the round ligament pain but it still comes and goes. And yes, @quantumleap I feel your SPD pain! I never had it before but it's awful. I've never before had such pain that I cried. My husband asked what was wrong and all I could do was wail, "my vagina hurts!" Totally flummoxed him. There isn't really any band-aid for that!

At my last appt I'd only gained 20 lbs, which sounded exciting, until I reminded myself that I started at 173 which is at least 40 lbs over my ideal weight. I'm 5'1" and have never really lost any weight from the previous pregnancies. I know I'll top 200 by the end of this and I'm determined to be serious about weight loss after this pregnancy. I cannot keep carrying around this ridiculous body!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So sorry to hear that you all are uncomfortable!

I did better today with the pelvic pressure. Baby moved again. :)

Today was the day for swollen feet--and wouldn't you know, it was also my baby shower. I had to try on several pairs of dressy sandals before I found a pair that fit. By the end of the shower the straps were cutting off my circulation!

Not sure how many more Sundays I'll be standing in church. :(

As far as weight, I have no idea! I just know I'm probably not eating as much as I should. Trying to work on drinking enough and making my tea infusions (hard to remember every other day!)

I hope you all have a good day tomorrow and experience some relief in whatever discomfort you are feeling!!

·
Registered
218 Posts
My hands were such huge swollen mitts I could not even grasp the butter knife to spread peanut butter on toast. I'm soaking them in the coldest water I can stand and it's helping--I can almost make fists without pain.

No swelling in my face and little in my feet so not worried about pre-eclampsia.

This is the weirdest pregnancy symptom I've ever had. Fingertips constantly tingling in that "going to sleep" feeling when nerves are compressed. I can't even really feel textures accurately. Everything feels the same--slightly bumpy.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Another warm weekend here. It was fairly cool and in the 70's for the past week or so. Now we're in the upper 80's again (which might not sound bad, but in our marine climate temperatures this high are not common and most of us aren't used to them.) So i've got the industrial fan on (nice big metal blades, quite strong even on the lowest setting!) I'm just trying to keep comfy!

My bp actually wasn't bad at all this morning. Got one of the lowest readings i've gotten at home, so that's pretty nice. We'll see how it does throughout the day though.

I've been fairly uncomfortable more and more now. Laying down is painful and i'm always switching sides. Sitting down and standing up are painful too because my knees are really feeling the strain. I have to really pull myself up and out of the car now. It's challenging. I give myself a little pep talk every time I gotta get out of my vehicle "you can do this! 1... 2... 3..." lol. I could so use an SUV right about now. Gotta wait till tax time to find some sort of vehicle that doesn't look like I picked it out of the junk yard. My car is just a plain embarrassment to drive.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Son's birthday yesterday, outside on the hottest day we've had so far this summer. Then my baby shower today.

My feet are more swollen than I've ever seen them in my life. My aunt, a nurse, came over to me at the shower and began poking my feet with her finger. She didn't even have to say a word, just gave me that look (she's one of my favorite aunts so she can get away with any look she wants). All I said was, "I know."

I'm home now, feet up, drinking water. Planning an Epsom salt bath later. Hoping to rediscover my ankle bone by tonight.

Husband is gone overnight with the boys camping. Mother is here. Perfect scenario for true relaxation and a good night's sleep.
Oh, and I got splints for my wrists to wear at night to prevent carpal tunnel pain. I'm looking forward to bedtime for the first time in weeks! Maybe, maybe, maybe I could actually get some true deep sleep.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
@Daisy8s time to break out the compression stockings? Those are seriously the only thing that has helped my poor feet so far. Nothing else has even impacted it in the slightest. Yeah they're still puffy but not as puffy or uncomfortable as they have been. I laugh when people poke at them now and say "you should see how they looked before I started sleeping in compression stockings!"

·
Registered
218 Posts
@Daisy8s time to break out the compression stockings? Those are seriously the only thing that has helped my poor feet so far. Nothing else has even impacted it in the slightest. Yeah they're still puffy but not as puffy or uncomfortable as they have been. I laugh when people poke at them now and say "you should see how they looked before I started sleeping in compression stockings!"
Well, my feet are back to normal this morning. I think it was just two days on my feet outside in the heat for those two events. The ankle bone has re-emerged from hiding!

My boys leave tomorrow to go stay with my mom for 10 days so that should help keep me off my feet from now on. Phew!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Joining in now because my dominant hand has carpal tunnel fairly bad now due to all the seam-ripping I was doing yesterday working on my upcycled diaper cover project. Thanks for reminding me, daisy8s, that I have a wrap to wear at night! I just have to dig it out of the closet...

Also, I am waddling fairly obviously now. And this past week I have had constipation! Ugh. I finally had a decend poo today but :/ not fun. I've been regular up until now.

My hips feel great compared to last pregnancy which is weird bc baby is so much lower this time that I've actually been able to eat this pregnancy. For some reason it doesn't effect my hips to carry baby so low. I think I'm tossing and turning in bed a lot less and that's why I feel less hip pain this time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts