Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am feeling really ungrateful, and, I don't know how to get over it.<br><br>
My Dh is in an very unstable job. Periodically they will do a layoff, mess around with staffing, give them a paycut, or something else stressful. He has been looking for a new job for sometime, and, we thought he had one nailed.<br>
He had 2 interviews and did a job shaddow. Yesterday they called him in to say: We like you so much, but you are our second choice. We are going to be adding a job in the fall, and that job is yours to turn down. We will be in touch.<br><br>
Okay, he was taken aback, because he felt like he should have maybe just gotten a letter....it was awkard sitting across from the VP. Who knows if there is another job. You know? They said in the interveiw they were "thinking" of adding a 12-8 shift - which would not be possible for us since I often times work till 7 or 8 and our daycare closes at 6 pm.<br>
The place is very good to work at, apparently, there are NEVER any openings, there are only 75 employees, and, this was only due to a retirement.<br><br>
So, I of course am feeling really ungrateful, and have been told as much by my family. None of them do belive there really is a second job. But I should be happy he even got an interview. Right. Just getting that interview doesn't matter much unless there is a job at the end of it, which there isn't.<br><br>
He has been in this limbo for a long time now, not wanting to apply for a lower paying or worse job because he still has his, and, dosen't want to go to a diffrent shift. It is a very small community so there are very few options, and most pay worse. There is talk his plant will close in September, we will see, would not doubt it. But he doesn't want to go to something worse. He still works a second job as a short order cook so he has something if he is laid off. Which, could happen any day the way things have been.<br><br>
Anyway - I don't know how to stop feeling so ungrateful. You know?<br><br>
Sorry ,just needed to vent.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I mean, obviously you are in a stressful situation. So it's very understandable that you feel frustrated and "ungrateful."<br>
But I think the first step toward feeling grateful, no matter how bad the situation is to look at people who have it worse than you, and be thankful for little things that you do have.<br><br>
I mean I complain about my partner not living up to my expectation, not finishing school soon enough, and right now failing his licensing exam and having to take it again etc etc. But I'm very thankful that he is staying home and helping me go to school and watch children when I need to study for finals, BECAUSE he doesn't have a job to attend to. I am thankful that my children are healthy and happy, though we are poor, which I don't really mind too much, because I know (or at least hope) that things will get better. But I actually take the steps to improve the situation all the time, and try not to dwell on the fact that we have problems, but actually do something about it.<br><br>
so my advice would be to be thankful for little things you have, but also work towards your ideal. Like...move away from that place, if there are so few opportunity. Or you or you hubby could go back to school etc.<br>
Good luck.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think your feelings are very valid and very justified. Your husband's job is in limbo means your life is in limbo. You don't have stability, you can't depend on the future. These are all very real concerns, especially when you have a little one to take care of.<br><br>
There are pros to interviewing for the sake of interviewing: visibility, and practice interviewing. But in the grand scheme of things, you're right, that doesn't get your husband a new job with stability and peace of mind.<br><br>
It sounds like the two of you have similar feelings about the situation, so at the very least, maybe this troublesome time will bring you together as a couple.<br><br>
Are there any other avenues of job searching he can pursue? How bad is it to just wait it out, and see if the "other job" thing pans out? By which I mean: If he gets laid off, does he get a nice package?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts