Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Short history.  I am 29 weeks 4 days.  We've already been diagnosed with IUGR so our little guy measures from 3-4 weeks behind where he should be.  This is the 6th pregnancy I have made it past the 2nd trimester.  My most recent pregnancy was a little over 3 years ago.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Today I started having a sharp pain on my left hip and when I stood up, I couldn't bear weight on that leg.  The pain didn't radiate down the back of my leg towards my foot like it has when I've had sciatica with pregnancy in the past.  Also, I've never had it this soon in pregnancy.  Only in the last few weeks so it makes it so weird especially considering how small our son is. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>For the last few hours I have not been able to bear weight on that leg without extreme pain on the front of my left hip.  Nothing in my lower back whatsoever.  I can crawl with no discomfort and I can scootch down the stairs with minimal discomfort. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>This sounds so different than when I had sciatica in the past.  Baby's head was usually engaged and i guess when she shifted her head against a nerve I would have that sharp shooting sensation down my leg and it would usually go away within a few minutes.  We are going on several hours now.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks for any incite you might be able to give.  I am kinda thrown for a loop.  I am supposed to be on bedrest for the IUGR but during the day I am alone for most of it with my 3 yo DD and my 6yo DD.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Celina</p>

·
Registered
420 Posts
<p>Wow, sounds awful. I'm almost 24wks, and I have experienced similar pain since about 20wks...it started randomly while sitting in church one day...just this HORRIBLE (like, doubled over almost crying) pain in my left hip. I felt it more in the back but some in the front too. Applying pressure to it seemed to help, and then after about 15 minutes it went away.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>A few days later it happened again but it lasted a whole day, and I finally went to see a chiropractor. Since then, I've had the hip pain in both sides, mostly in my back but sometimes my front too. The longer it goes on, the worse it gets and it starts radiating down my leg.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My midwife said it's definitely the sciatic nerves - for you, it might not feel the same as before because it might be pinched in a different way or being affected in a different way than you experienced before. But that type of pain in that exact location is pretty much going to be the joint rubbing that nerve. Especially with subsequent pregnancies, our bodies give up a lot faster than before. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>My chiropractor has helped a lot...I can go 5 days or so without any major pain. He suggested ice, arnica, and NO reclining. Either lie flat or sit regularly. Also, when lying down, don't cross your ankles. See if a few days of that helps at all - it HAS improved my symptoms. It's not gone, but there is improvement. The no reclining thing is hardest for me - I'm sure you too with other LO's, it's easier to manage a home when you can at least sit up, lol...but do try it. </p>

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
<p>Sounds to me like you need a chiro.  Something a little out of alignment pressing on the nerves just so.  </p>

·
Registered
860 Posts
<p>Ahhh, this describes what I suffered with my pregnancy with DS (I went through it last Feb-June, from about 20 weeks until his birth, and then for about 3 weeks afterwards too, but not as intense).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I had never heard of it before I started researching it, since I didn't have it with my first pregnancy, but this is what I found out:</p>
<p> </p>
<p>* It's called pelvic pregnancy pain, or pelvic girdle pain of pregnancy, depending on what you read.</p>
<p>* It often starts in the second trimester, and earlier for subsequent pregnancies.</p>
<p>* It's not exactly sciatica, which involves a pinched sciatic nerve, but instead is due to the hormone relaxin loosening up the pelvic bones.  Pelvic bones are usually pretty stable, but when they loosen up, they pinch on various nerves, which causes the pain. </p>
<p>* The good news: it usually goes away completely after birth (mine did), and I've also been told that it may make birth easier since it helps the pelvis be more pliable (but I've not read any studies on this point). </p>
<p> </p>
<p>What helped me:</p>
<p>* an insane combination of new orthotic inserts, massage therapy every week or so, lots of rest, physical therapy (involving exercises, learning and applying different moving/sleeping positions), and doing modified duties at work for the last trimester (I'm an RN so I had to go from an "all day on my feet" shift, to a "desk" job).  All of this STILL didn't take the pain away, and at times it was crippling, but it did help.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Good luck!  </p>

·
Registered
498 Posts
<p>Could it be prirformis pain?  What you describe sounds like what I had last pregnancy.  I started going to the chiropractor and it would hurt much worse the day I went...but much better for a week or two afterwards.  I would take a step and gasp in pain.  But it didn't go down my leg like sciatica.  After chiro care I was able to stand at the sink and do dishes, vacuum, make the beds, etc.</p>

·
Registered
999 Posts
<p>most likely pain from the bones shifting around. a chiropractor would help, as well as if it's sciatica. could also be piriformis pain, which is a muscle between your leg and your tailbone, deep in your buttocks. google "piriformis stretch" and see if it helps, and/or go to a massage therapist.</p>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts