Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with feline kidney disease or feline chronic renal failure (same thing)? My poor 16 year old cat just got diagnosed with this and I would like to compare notes with someone who has dealt with this before.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
My cat had this. he lived to be 21. We fed him a special diet, and he went and got fluids once a week or so. I also at the time...worked for a vet. The vet i worked for was licensed in Chinese animal medicine, and my cat took herbs, and some prescription thing...calciforal...or something. I think the course is just managing the disease as best as possible, and giving the kitty extra love. Im sorry your cat has this.

·
Banned
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding. We are getting the calciforal tomorrow and may do the sub-cutaneous (sp?) fluids if it does not make things better. That is awesome that your cat lived to be 21!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Three years ago my favorite kitty was diagnosed with kidney diesease. She was pretty sick and we did a week of her being in the hospital with sub-cutaneous fluids and antiobiotics. Three years later since she is on her special diet she is doing great and has not had any problems. Hopefully the diet will help and your kitty will start doing better.

·
Banned
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We are going to start him eating science diet GD, a little bit a day supplementing innova dry. We are using GD (heart disease and other health problems), as opposed to KD (kidney disease), because our poor guy is just too skinny to eat a low protein diet. What kinds of foods did you have your kitty eat?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts