Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I tried out Feline Pine thanks to recommendations on here. It is inexpensive, but I could only find the big chunky pellets. My scoop will not scoop anything out without taking all the litter with it.

The first day-smells were gone, it was fabulous. NOW my house smells like a rotten hamster cage. Seriously, I might just vomit. How does everyone use this and keep it from stinking so darn bad?

Any other alternatives to the silica filled scooping litter (they hate the big clay chunks-won't use it)?

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
You reverse the scooping technique.

The peed on litter turns into a fine powder.

I first scoop the poop out, then push remaining litter onto one side of the pan.
To scoop the urine out, you take a scoopful, hold the scooper over the trash bag, and sift the scooper. All the urine powder will sift through the scoop and into the trash bag, and the unused, clean pellets will remain in the scooper, which you toss back into the litterpan on the side without litter.

Hope that helps.

I am so glad I returned to the pelleted litter. I have used it since 1998, but tried the clumping litter last month. It was so nasty! I actually had to throw away the scooper after scooping through that slimy, wet, sticky goo. I went back to the pellets and was so happy about it. The air was fresh again.

For me, with two cats, I have to scoop the urine out every other day to keep it smelling fresh.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I just scoop out the poop, which is more like picking it out really, and mix the peed on powdery stuff in with the pellets. Shifting it around is enough to disguise any odor. I only remove the litter on change out day.

·
Registered
10,473 Posts
We do what Flutterbee does.

Also, we bought enclosed cat boxes w/ little swinging doors over the opening. Took the cats a little while to get accustomed to it, but it's working out well. No stink!!!

·
Premium Member
11,209 Posts
We scoop out the poop, and also any large areas of peed on litter - our cat uses one corner most often. Then we mix it all together again.

We used to buy Feline Pine, but someone here recommended going to the feed store and buying horse bedding pine pellets instead. It was $6 for 40 or 50 pounds, and they seem to be exactly the same.

Dar

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dar View Post
We scoop out the poop, and also any large areas of peed on litter - our cat uses one corner most often. Then we mix it all together again.

We used to buy Feline Pine, but someone here recommended going to the feed store and buying horse bedding pine pellets instead. It was $6 for 40 or 50 pounds, and they seem to be exactly the same.

Dar
That could have been me.

I've been buying the Pine Stall Horse Bedding for $8.85 for a 40 # bag from the Pet Zoo/Animal Food Warehouse in Anchorage.

·
Premium Member
11,209 Posts
Well, thank you for the tip - the feline pine costs 4 times as much as the horse bedding, so it's been a great $ saver.
Kansas is cheaper than Alaska, even but I suppose that's not a surprise to you...

dar

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
Nope, no surprise.
I've lived in Oregon, California, Wisconsin, Missouri and Arkansas, as well as Scotland (but I was only a child when I lived in Scotland).

My parents have lived in Alaska for 13 or so years now.
I knew how terribly expensive it would be when I moved here in 2004.
But I was told that would be evened out by the increase in income.
Well, it was only $1 more per hour for the same job I had been doing in Wisconsin, and was probably only due to the fact that I pushed for it based on my 3 years of experience.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.