Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if I'm the only one.

I am mostly a SAHM, but I do work one day a week at the bookstore. I worked full-time before dd was born. It was stressful to me as a full-time job, but I enjoy the once-a-week stint as something to get out and do while socializing somewhat, and being around yummy books. I often work in the children's area, which is great! I love being able to recommend books that I loved as a child, and books that I know dd likes (Todd Parr! Mmm...).

So if you are or have been a bookseller, tell me about it. Believe me, I know it aint all roses. It's retail, so that would be impossible.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I worked full-time in a bookstore for 4 years pre-babies!! I was the assistant manager, and I absolutely LOVED working with books!! To this day, I cannot walk into a bookstore and not get nostaligic about it. The smell of new books gets me every time! LOL! I STILL miss it, and it's been 9 yrs since I worked in a bookstore.

There was something about it ... talking with people about books all day, recommending old favorites, I don't know. I loved getting a shipment of new releases and seeing what was inside. We used to make a game of memorizing which ISBN prefix went to which publisher for when it was time to do publisher returns after Christmas. (I'm not sure if it's still done that way, but we went around the store with printouts and had to make piles by publisher. Then they all got shipped back). Do you still strip mass-markets for returns? I used to feel badly about that, but the bookstore I worked let us take the books instead of throwing them out.

Wow, this brought back memories! I'm glad you started this thread!!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Growing up my family had a used Catholic book business. We did mail order/internet and event sales. I absolutely loved it and wish they still had it. I did the data entry, shipping, shelving etc. Books rock! (I have a lot of books!)

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I worked in the Children's section of a bookstore all throughout high school. It was great preparation for building my baby's library, which we're just starting to do!

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I was a seasonal bookseller. I woud have stayed on past the holidays, but I got a job using my degree. I loved working with books and helping people find something entertaining to read. I would do it again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.