Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I just picked up two size Medium lambswool sweaters at the thrift store today, and threw them into the wash on Hot wash/Cold rinse and then in the dryer on Hot.

Well, they came out TINY! I cut one apart to make into a cover, but it's so small, we're talking preemie size. Not even newborn.

Also, the ribbing part of the sweaters is all ruffly and not as felted as the rest.

Should I try again with a different kind of wool? Bigger sweater? Different wash/dry?

Give up and start making lots of teeny, tiny butt sweaters?

Oh, the fabric is really thick, too - so thick that two layers won't go through my serger OR my heavy duty Elna. I guess I'll have to hand-stitch these, which won't be a problem, because they're so TINY.
:

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mehndi mama
You can use them unfelted, and just plan on hand-washing. I started doing that with most of mine, once I ruined one too many beautiful wool sweaters trying to felt them nicely for soakers.
Oh fooey! I thought that at least one of them was tightly enough knit to make a fair daytime cover without felting... that was the pretty fair isle one, too! Well, I know better next time - thanks, MM!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.