Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
11,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another thread made me think of this. I am now being faced with the sad truth that I am totally comfortable saying penis or testicles to explain the male body to my son, but am totally uncomfortable saying vulva or vagina, especially if someone else is around.

So, what do you say when they point to you and ask? Why did you choose the name you did? And do you say the same thing no matter who is around?

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
We've just called it my vagina and do so no matter who is around (if he brings it up!). I sometimes feel a little bashful, but since I in no way want him thinking that I am ashamed or embarrassed by my body, I plow right ahead. However, ds has decided that my penis must be inside, and as of yet, hasn't waivered from this belief!
OTOH, dh won't stop saying "wenis" for penis because he thinks it's cute. It bugs me, b/c I think it's important to use the correct word.

·
Registered
11,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it bugs me when SIL refers to his "wee wee."

I am more comfortable with vagina, but know that vulva is the more correct term. But I just know that I am going to be explaining that one to everyone else in the room.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
This is one of my pet peeves when people refer to female genitals as the vagina. The vagina is the birth canal and can't be seen on the outside of the body. What can be seen is the vulva and that is what I have taught my kids, and yes I was a little embarassed once when my oldest DD was younger when she said to my friend, "My swimming suit pinches my vulva."

Now that my girls are older, if they have to refer to their private parts, they just call it their crotch.

Talk about embarassing (this is a little off topic) but my daughters sometimes catch me getting dressed and when they were a little younger, I would sometimes take a shower with them. My 8 year old is a bit squeamish (seeing her baby brother's penis during a diaper change put her off before she got used to it) and she has told me that she thinks my pubic hair is gross.

So one day she had slept over at the neighbors. The dad had his shirt off at breakfast which led to a discussion about how in some parts of the world it is not unusual for women to go without their shirts at the beach. And my daughter says, "Well it's a good thing my mom wears pants, because she's got a hairy crotch!"

OMG!

·
Registered
19,139 Posts
Thank You 3G1B!!!

Oceanbaby, I don't know what to tell you except you gotta do it. It will be weird at first but the more you do it the easier it gets.

·
Registered
13,153 Posts
MY 17 yo recently got a feminist book called, "Cunt." It is great. The author wants to reclaim the word, which was originally not derogatory, as the gay community has claimed queer, and we hippies claimed freak.

The book is all about your yoni, its care and uses, and demanding and working for respect for women.

Ina May Gaskin calls it "puss."

·
Registered
960 Posts
we use 'yoni'. dd is 2, so a more detailed discussion is pending.
my mother used to generically call genitals (both genders) "special parts" - i never knew until i was older that that wasn't their actual name
:.
i'm alternately amused and very bothered by that...

·
Banned
3,626 Posts
This may be slightly off topic, but my 2 y-o daughter (28 months) hasn't particularly explored that area yet, and just calls her entire nether region her bottom or (per dh) "bum bum" (I'm not her only parent). Did y'all have a detailed discussion of this with your daughters when they were toddlers, without their bringing it up? Or did they ask first?

Personally, it makes more sense to me to wait till she's a year or two older, or until she asks, herself or shows more curiosity about the subject.

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
we use "girl parts" for everyday use, but dd also knows "vulva" and "vagina" (and that they're not the same) and that there are other girl parts inside (the uterus or womb, etc). she also knows about labia and clitoris and urethra and that her bladder where her pee pee is til it comes out. i tell her that there are lots of different names for her girl parts just like there are for her bum bum or her head (noggin, noodle, etc). i felt like if i waited til some special time to tell her about the different "parts" then i would be more embarrassed and self conscious so i started early. i tried to make it like talking about your toes and your feet, etc. vulva was tough for me 'cause we never said it growing up, but i really don't like using vagina for the whole region 'cause it's just incorrect. i think my mom said wee wee for both pee and the region. i know some people who say bottom for the whole region, but we always said bottom for your butt/bum/gluteusmaximus/takeyourpickofnicknames so bottom didn't sit well
with me!

hth

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I have this problem too
Dh had a talk with ds about it but he still calls it my penis. I think I would find it easier to say vulva so I'm going to practice saying it until I fill comfortable so next time ds comments on my 'penis' I can say no its called a vulva.

3girls1boy :LOL cute story

·
Registered
19,139 Posts
The Jerk "Mama! I found out what my Special Purpose is!!!" :LOL

beanma, I like that you are sharing with her that it has many names. My DD, age 3 hasn't really asked about any of ot so it mostly comes up in the bath... another part we need to wash, so we name it while we do... and at potty time.

·
Premium Member
31,346 Posts
I don't have a DS, but we always used the words penis and vulva. The vagina is inside, and I think it's important for kids to know the correct terms. I don't remember being especially embarrassed, and neither was dh. Although it was pretty funny when dd was little and ran around telling everyone she has a vulva and daddy has a penis, lolol.

·
Registered
10,400 Posts
I prefer yoni to vagina, which actually means "sheath" (lovely)

·
Registered
732 Posts
Ok I was telling my mom the word yoni, as she had never heard it and she commented that if I was going to have a "special" name for a girl, I should also have one for our boys as that is what I have. My husband gets a little weird about it all. I heard him telling our 2 year old son last night that it was his "pee-pee" and I told him no, that is what comes out of there. So he said "what should I call it", and I said penis, and my husband gave me a look. Then he said fine we will call it his "wee-wee", which I don't like, so I am trying to find a better word since my husband is uncomfortable with penis. For info my dh and I always just say down there when referring to ourselves, and don't even refer to them any more than that when we are making love. So are there any better names for a penis that don't sound so medical, but also not so pathetic as "wee-wee" as my son is discovering himself and I want to give him a name my DH and I can both agree on. I know this thread is for girl names, but I thought it would be alright.

·
Registered
13,153 Posts
It is Sanskrit. In India and elsewhere in Asia, they do not have these hangups about sex and genitalia. There are stone yonis and lingams (penises) everywhere as shrines to the life force. Sometimes you have sculpted lingams with yonis in the middle, just to be really friendly and yin yang about it. In Japan they have a day for penises and parade them large and small, through the streets. You can buy little ones as pendants, etc. Weehah!

Realy, 2 yr old should know what he has is a penis, even if you don't want to call it that every day.

Tallywhacker?

Johnson?

Yamma lamma ding dong?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.