Mothering Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Hey all,</p>
<p>I just finished my third round of Clomid, my re was using it to boost my progesterone, and it seemed to help in the first to cycles, but this cycle, it was only 5.5 on cd23.  So the nurse said she thought the re was going to put me on femara next, to do the same, and monitor my cycles.  I'm pretty disappointed that the clomid didn't work for us, we've been trying 20 mos now and had two losses.  I am conflicted on the femara because of cost and because I wonder if it's going to do anything for me that the clomid didn't.  I have read that it should help with ewcm and lining.  But I got pregnant after two cycles of vitex, though that ended in a miscarriage.  Has anyone else had success with Femara after nothing with Clomid?  My cycles are pretty regular, this is unexplained secondary infertility.  I just don't want to waste more time/money/heartache.  Thoughts? Thanks!</p>

·
Registered
360 Posts
<p>Hi Marmo - I also have secondary infertility.  I was first time lucky with my DS.  Based on my experience, I say go for the femara!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I had terrible hot flashes and mood swings on the clomid.  On 50 mg clomid my P4 was 10.45...by the time the clomid was 150mg my P4 was .45...yup that's right no ovulation at all on the higher doses of clomid.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I did 5mg of femara and had 2 mature eggs with P4 at 11.1.  I didn't get a BFP, but I had a much better response to the femara.  I also did not have any hot flashes or turn into a crazy woman!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm currently on my second femara cycle.  If this cycle doesn't result in a BFP, we may move to femara plus injectibles.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I've heard from various sources that while clomid might cause you make many small eggs...Femara will make just one big egg.   (Also, personal opinion is that clomid does not do a thing for progesterone levels...the P4 levels may go up, but only because of better Ovulation.)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm sorry about your losses.  :(  I hope your RE is able to figure out what's causing the problem. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Also, femara is more expensive than clomid, but it is less than injectibles. It also runs a much smaller risk of multiples than injectibles.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<p>Thanks! </p>
<p>I will give it a try. I have an appt on Tuesday, the thing is that is probably going to be day cd 4 or 5.  I talked to the nurse today, she said that he wanted to wait to talk to me before I started Femara, and probably start the next cycle.  The first cycle of clomid, my progesterone was a little over 10, I don't remember the exact number.  He wanted it higher, so he bumped up the dose, and the next cycle it was 18.7.  This cycle I took the same dose as last, and it's 5.5.  He'd mentioned, and I'd read, that after being on clomid a few cycles, it can begin to have the reverse of the desired effect.  So I have a refill left. What the nurse couldn't tell me was if I should do one more cycle of clomid, take this cycle off, or start the femara.  I need to talk to the doc for that.  but the timing sucks!  So I don't know what to do.  I'm tempted to fib about my lmp if it's only a day off.  I know he'll want to start on cd3.  Gah!  I'm getting to the point where I don't want to waste any more time.</p>

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
<p>Marmo- I also did 3 Clomid cycles. I don't know anything about my progesterone, but I have been on endometrin or prometrium every time. After no success with the Clomid I just did my first Femara cycle. No success there either. I do agree with Wissa on the eggs though, on clomid my first month I had 4, second I had 3, third I had 3 but they were smaller... On Femara I only had 1 but it was huge and I actually started surging before my trigger. I wish you great luck. I am onto another Femara cycle and then have a followup to see what to do if this cycle fails. I'm not looking forward to the expense of injectables. As far as the price on Clomid/Femara, I paid $ 11 for 5 clomid (50mg) and only $8 for 10 femara (2x 2.5mg), so hopefully it isn't too pricey for you.</p>

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
<p>I only used clomid once. 50mg and my progesterone was like 14. I used femara for 3 IUIs and trying naturally twice. The 1st cycle was natural and my progesterone was  20. My doc still thought I should be on prometrium. For my 3 IUIs, I used prometrium after the IUI. My first cycle I had 2 mature eggs, 2nd I had 3 and 3rd I 3-4. I just did IVF (a minimal stimulation protocol) and used femara along w/gonal-f and got 6 follicles, 4 mature. I felt better on femara than clomid.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have a friend who did 6 unsuccessful rounds of clomid and it screwed up her cycle - but she got pregnant her first time trying femara.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Cindy</p>

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<p>Thanks, ladies!! This gives me hope, I'm starting to run low. I'll definitely give it a try! Second question...  I have an appt Thursday, and I've been expecting af any day now.  If it comes Tues, I'm all good on discussing trying it this month.  If I start tomorrow, that will be cd4.  Is it ok to start on cd4?  Should I fudge it one day?  Talk to him and see?  I hate the thought of wasting another month... </p>

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
<p>I know some women start clomid on day 5 - so it might work. I wouldn't fudge though. My doctors always had me start on day 2, not even day 3. I think you produce more follicles, the sooner you start.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Cindy</p>

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<p>Thanks again! I'm not going to have to worry about fudging my last lmp, anyways, I am a couple days late.  Took a hpt, it was a bfn.  I'm surprised it's late, as my progesterone was so low.  I'd just like it to start already now, so I can get started on the next cycle.  I was told my dr wanted to monitor my femara cycles, and consider an iui.  I already know that I can't afford an iui, but what are monitored cycles like? </p>
<p>BABY DUST TO ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! </p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
<p>I hope it turns into a BFP, but if not that AF will show and you can get started on your Femara cycle. My monitoring starts on  CD12- I go in for an ultrasound and bloodwork (estrogen, LH, progesterone), they then tell me when to trigger or if I need to go back 2 days later to repeat u/s and b/w.</p>

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<p>Thanks, cbaa!  AF did show up, 2 days late.  I'm ok with that, at least my cycle wasn't so screwed up that I had to take yet another med to restart!  And I'm looking forward to trying femara/ovidrel.  Hoping it does the trick.  I go in on cd 11, I'm excited to see if/how many follies will be there! </p>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts