Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 424 Posts

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Thought I'd add a little substance before I go.

I love remembering that I am am a feminist. I often don't think of it because I am surrounded by women who strive to work to their abilities and usually don't allow da man to get in their way. I live within a bit of a feminist subculture within the larger world. But to remember my feminism helps me feel empowered. It helps me remember that their are sisters all over standing by my side and I'm in awe at our collective strength. I walk a litle taller when I remember that. The world is so much open to me and seems so much more accessable because I am a feminist.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
: Been wondering whatever happen to this tribe or thread since its hardly gets attention or replies to it anymore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamajama
Thought I'd add a little substance before I go.

I love remembering that I am am a feminist. I often don't think of it because I am surrounded by women who strive to work to their abilities and usually don't allow da man to get in their way. I live within a bit of a feminist subculture within the larger world. But to remember my feminism helps me feel empowered. It helps me remember that their are sisters all over standing by my side and I'm in awe at our collective strength. I walk a litle taller when I remember that. The world is so much open to me and seems so much more accessable because I am a feminist.
mamajama,

, on what you said above here.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I'm here too. I was just thinking about how I'm more of a feminist than anything else. I'm all about natural living, birth choices, ap parenting, etc but it all stems from my main thing--my pride in being a woman. does that make sense?

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Feminist not-mama-yet here. But I'd love to hang out with the big kids here...

Combining feminism and motherhood is the thing i look most forward to in my life! I cannot wait to be a mama feminist.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Obviously being a feminist can mean slightly different things to different people, but if we're going with who considers themselves a feminist then that's me

·
Premium Member
15,484 Posts
I'm here.

Thought I'd throw out something I run into:
I have a hard time convincing other feminist mamas I meet that birth is a feminist issue and that taking back birth should be a feminist concern. To so many it seems so radical to step out of the hospital.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Another Feminist Mama here. My dearest friend in the world and I used to work together in a feminist bookstore in Sacramento (Lioness Books). She used to love to joke, "Does your husband let you be a feminist?"

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Helloooooooooooooooo! some great familiar faces...

short story ahead:

So, speaking of feminism and motherhood, my most recent project at school involved sculpting a giant pregnant woman out of clay.

She is hollow inside, with a big lid that the viewer opens up to see what's inside. In her "uterus" I placed a positive pregnancy test, an egg, 30 pieces of silver, and a coathanger, all objects relating to the selling of women's reproductive health to vested interests. And I painted the word SOLD in black lettering on the back wall of the "uterus."

I was trying to relate my sculpture to that disturbing article about the woman in Utah who got brought up on charges for refusing a C-section.

My class is all female; the instructor assigned random groups to critique each other's projects. The two who evaluated my project were confused-- the thought the money represented the cost of having a baby.

But, amusingly, they thought the wire coathanger represented "where the mom is going to hang up the baby clothes!"

So I'm not sure what the point of my story is. Just that I feel sort of... out there alone on the feminist front, sometimes.
Like I'm talking nonsense to myself.

But who would have thought that a couple of smart young women wouldn't figure that pregnant woman + gnarly coathanger = backalley abortion?

I'm skeered.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi Mammas, I'll join you in this tribe xxxx and anyone can be a feminist according to a guy I know who lectures in it, male or female!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SurfDaddy
oops, I hope I didn't go and kill this nice thread, with my stinky man-ness

LOL
personally I think it's cool you came here. If more men were into feminism the world would be much nicer.

1 - 20 of 424 Posts