Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
We have had a cat hanging around our house for a month or two and we have just let her be because she has been keeping the gophers away from our garden. If we were allowed to have pets (landlord doesn't let us, not even outdoor cats, I asked) we would have adopted her already, but we can't so we have just ignored her. Well this morning I was looking out my window and I noticed a kitten playing outside my shed! So I took a plate of chicken fat down and set it by the door and turns out she has had at least four kittens, they all seem healthy and very playful. So now I'm wondering what to do. I wish we could just keep them, but I don't want my landlord to get mad. Also I don't want them making a mess of our shed because that's where we keep our storage. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
All of the cats need to be removed. Many jurisdictions in the US are addressing feral cats and if you feed them you could be breaking the law. Since you rent you need to notify the landlord and request that they be removed.

An "outdoor cat" or roaming is very dangerous for the cat, extremely inconsiderate to your neighbors (far and near), and causes significant measurable damage to wildlife (especially songbirds). Just like a loose dog, a loose cat can create legal problems for you if the cat damages someone's property or is identified as yours while on someone else's property (public or private).

·
Registered
8,238 Posts
How did this turn out? We have a lot of feral cats in my neighborhood. Our hoarder neighbor used to feed them and then died. I inherited three kittens (that were living under a van on his property) and won them over. They live in my backyard now. I had them neutered (many feral programs out there will do it for free or reduced rates.) I also cannot have them in the house due to renting (and allergies) but I leave my garage side door open at night and they can sleep in there (they have beds in there.) I am a shelter volunteer and feral cats that are brought to the shelter have zero chance. It's better to trap, spay/neuter, and return. That actually prevents more cats from taking over because they have specific territories. Many feral programs will work with you. Kittens can go to the shelter because they have a chance at being adopted since it's not too late for them to be socialized. One of mine took two months to be able to pet and now he sits on my lap (we hang out in the backyard a lot so they see us all the time.) I gave the feral information to two of my neighbors and they are also helping to have them spayed or neutered (one person can only get three spay/neuter vouchers at a time.)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It actually turned out pretty well. I too learned they had zero chance and I just refused to kill them. I had the momma spayed as soon as I could. Her babies are six months now and we had 3 more show up that are about their age. We live on dumping grounds. I fixed the girl kitten. There was one other girl too, but when I took her in she had a severe injury so they put her down. The rest are boys. I'm still working on trapping the last two. Two of the original kittens have disappeared. We live in the country so I'm guessing they were eaten or possibly hit by a car. But everything has settled down now and the spca near us only charges $10 for boys and $20 to fix girls.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Donate them to some cat lovers!!!! I love cats :) !!! There are lot cataholic people!! Find them and give it to them!! The best way to this :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Donate them to some cat lovers!!!! I love cats :) !!! There are lot cataholic people!! Find them and give it to them!! The best way to this :)
Kittens can be adopted because they are young enough to adapt, but feral cats are feral. They don't trust humans, and can be extremely dangerous if cornered. I have had two loved ones mauled by feral cats that were supposedly "converted" as adults to domestic. I love cats, and have three myself, but if you had ever been around ferals, you would realize that this isn't as simple as it sounds.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It really is in there best interest to just trap neuter and return. I fix mine and feed them. But they are not friendly, you can't really make them pets, even as kittens they are hard to turn. And they don't live very long outside either. When I wrote the original post I had found 4 kittens. Only 1 is still alive. That's why you should always fix your cats, we have too many that are living hard lives because people just abandon them unfixed. It's very sad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts