Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really only have a question about my first batch of sauerkraut... but two nights ago it was a question about my first batch of kombucha... I'm a newbie and I have a lot of questions! And if I search the forum, I get 355 hits for "sauerkraut" alone. So I got to thinking that maybe we could have a sticky for "emergencies" and questions that "experts" could be subscribed to so that they could see posts with questions more quickly... I don't know if others think this would be useful, but I know I would! And reading through it would be a sort of "FAQ" for newbies.

In any case... my question is about my 1-2 cups worth of week old sauerkraut sitting on my counter. The cat got up on the counter to get a better view of the raccoons in our yard last night, and knocked over the kraut! As it is my first batch, I don't have a very fancy set up, and so all the brine dribbled out (thoroughly soaking "The Vaccine Book" by Dr. Sears in krauty goodness, by the way
).

I probably could just eat the kraut tomorrow, but would like to ferment it longer. What do I do?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I don't have to worry about losing a lot of good bacteria w/ the water or the fact that it sat out w/ no water in it for almost 24 hours?

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
There's bacteria all over the surface of the cabbage (and whatever other veggies you may have added), so they'll need to multiply to fill up the brine, but I think you should be okay. I'd keep an eye on it, skim off any mold or anything on the top (I always have to do that anyway), but it seems likely to be okay. It's a method of food preservation, so I think it's somewhat robust. And from everything I've read and seen, by smell and/or by piles of very scary mold it will be obvious if something has seriously gone awry. And fwiw (bad mom moment ahead) when we have some, say, pickles with dinner and a few sit in a bowl overnight and my kids want to eat them the next morning, I don't hesitate and they've never shown ill effects, so I think the good bacteria are still really outnumbering any bad ones.

I don't consider myself enough of an expert to sign up for answering folks' questions, that's why I bypassed the first part of your posting. I mean--I've done a number of veggie ferments by now, but no kefir or kombucha or fruit ferments, and I always do whey-less so I'm not experienced with that. But I love my veggie ferments, they make us so very happy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.