Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
help!

what did i do wrong? i just attempted to pickle 20# of pickles and all of the jars have mold on top
and they smell funky, not the good funk of sauerkraut but the bad funk of moldy gym socks.

here's what i did:

soak pickles overnight in pickling lime.
rinse jars with soap and water.
put pickles, 3 tbsp. salt, 1-2 tbsp spices (dried dill, garlic, pickling spice, curry etc.) in jar and fill with water.
cover lightly so as not to explode with lids and rings.
put in pantry and check on every couple of days.
slight bubbling but no zing smell at all.

i finally checked today, they're about a week old, and found the mold. even the cinnamon ones my ds wanted me to make molded so i don't think it's the spices.

the only thing i can think of is that i didn't boil the jars? or, that maybe i didn't add enough salt?

needless to say, i'm totally bummed. any suggestions?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,868 Posts
How much mold? Does it seem to have reached all the pickles? Or is it a layer on top? I've been fermenting mine via Wild Fermentation recipe, he says:

Quote:
Check the crock every day. Skim any mold from the surface, but don't worry if you can't get it all. If there's mold, be sure to rinse the plate and weight. Taste the pickles after a few days.
I did have some mold on my latest batch, it got to a few of my pickle spears, so I pitched those. I scraped up the mold and pitched it. The pickles are still pretty kickin'.

I hope you didn't throw them out yet.

FWIW, I never have boiled any jars.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4,541 Posts
So glad someone asked this question. I was thinking about it. I just made a few jars of pickles and after failing with the NT recipe, I am tring the sandor katz method, and I have mold, but it is just on top and smell great still. And I have green beans in salt water and it has mold on top I have been scraping everyday. They are still not ready to eat- maybe in a few days.
But I was a bit bervous about eating something tha thad mold on top.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top