Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>Because I'm of 'advanced maternal age' (37), my midwives (which are within a hospital setting) require NSTs weekly starting at 37 weeks.. So today I had my first NST and they found an arrhythmia....which they said is usually nothing and often 'fixes' itself after the baby is born. Regardless, they made me come back for a second NST in labor and delivery tonight! They said the heart was accelerating well and everything looked fine except for the arrhythmia and that-- I am no longer 'birth center eligible' :(</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am so disappointed....for my first birth I was at a free-standing birth center and wanted to go there again but couldn't afford it with our change in insurance. I chose this in-hospital birth center, but they are so much more "medical" and I think that everything will be fine with the baby's heart...it's just that they require these NSTs for 'older' mamas--so they found it.  Of course, I want to keep my baby safe....I just don't understand why I now have to move down a floor to the Labor and Delivery and have no tub available. I mean, the birth center is just one floor away....I'd still be in the hospital!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Anyway...I guess this is just a rant. Has anyone had a similar situation? I read some posts where mamas had homebirths with arrhythmias. That's not an option for me at this point.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I guess I'm just trying to come to terms with this birth experience....how can I still have the birth I want? I guess I can try to stay home as long as possible(?) I do have a doula.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>any support/ suggestions/experiences?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks mamas--</p>

·
Registered
150 Posts
<p>**HUGS**</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Did the heart slow (bradyarrhythmia), speed up (tachyarrhythmia) or just act irregular?  What was the rate and for how long?  If you want to challenge it, you could get this info, a copy of the fetal monitor and ask the opinion of a pediatric cardiologist.  Of course since you're so close to your due date I don't know if it would help if you could do it in time.  Plus some hospitals are so set in their policies that they wouldn't allow you to return to the birthing centre.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My DD was diagnosed in utero with a heart defect (it was glaringly obvious in the u/s).  I'm not saying your LO will have one but I can relate to the bureaucratic crap with the hospitals/OBs that you're going through.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>You already have a doula so there's a huge advantage for you.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>My advice would be to labour as long as possible at home and question every intervention they try to give you.  If they're concerned about the baby's heart then remind them oxytosin is not good for baby's heart rate.  And avoid the continuous fetal monitoring.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Maybe talk with someone (your MW/OB) about the hospital's policies regarding your situation.  See what's set in stone and what's more flexible.  Knowing what could be done because someone saw a "problem" is helpful before you start labour.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>If you are concerned about the heart you can consider getting an ECG (electrocardiogram) done and/or have the baby's O-sats monitored after the baby's born.  Both are non-invasive.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>HTH!</p>

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<p>Thanks so much for your reply. It was just 'irregular', the heartbeat looked 'beautiful' otherwise (the midwife's word). There haven't been any other abnormalities detected with the ultrasound's look at the heart.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>They do want me to have the baby constantly monitored which is why I have to switch to Labor & delivery-- the midwife says I'll still be able to move around.....but I don't really understand how.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We asked to get a referral to a pediatric cardiologist, but they said it was unnecessary at this point. The midwife showed the print out to one and he said we'd do an echocardiogram after the birth to rule out any structural problems.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>It seems like it's just the policy and I'm stuck in labor and deliver with no tub..... I do feel good about having the doula and we can stay home as long as possible.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The midwife assured me that they wouldn't push for induction or anything like that...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>thanks again for the response!</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts