Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh, mamas. I am feeling stressed and just needed to put this out there somewhere. I just found out that I have to go in for a fetal echocardiogram. I knew something was up at the 20-week anatomy scan. The technician called in her supervisor and they spent a very, very long time on the heart. My appointment for the fetal echo is August 9th. It just feels so very far away and I am in tears already.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Oh dear! I can't even begin to understand what you're going through - but I can understand the fear for your child.

I'll keep you both in my prayers.

·
Registered
12,213 Posts
I'll keep you in my thoughts and I'm sending your baby many many many healthy heart vibes!!!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Oh sweetie - I'm so sorry. That's such a frightening thing to be waiting for when you don't know *what's* going on

FWIW, sometimes it can be really hard to get a good view of the 'outflows' from the heart on the 20wk scan - it may be that they didn't see everything they needed to, or that they couldn't be sure of what they were seeing. Small comfort, I know, but it happens...

I'll be keeping you and your babe close to my heart.

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
I'm thinking about you and your family. I hope all goes well.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Oh, mama
. How very hard!

I haven't been in your situation, but maybe other mamas have and can tell you a little more about what might be going on. Maybe in one of the forums?

Can't some of these picture things be wrong, or correct themselves? My 2 cents would be to think positive, trust yourself, your body and your baby. Everything will be okay- it has to!!

Keep us posted, and let us know what you find out. Will you try to learn more before August 9th about what might be going on?

Take care of yourself.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'm so sorry you're having to go through this right now. I hope all turns out well for you. At our 20 week scan everything looked great but they are still making me come back at 24 weeks to have a FEC done because with my last pregnancy, my daughter, who also had Down Syndrome, had severy heart defects. Even though we all know it was caused by the Down Syndrome, they're making me come back for this baby as well...GRRR
: I may not go because there isn't anything they're going to do now anyway. I was also told that if all was fine and dandy at the 20 week scan, that more than likely nothing was going to develope.

Good luck to you and your precious baby momma.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to all of you for your positive thoughts and wishes. I am trying to stay positive and focus on this new life growing within, but I am still anxious. My OB said she would call today with more details (she was busy with laboring mamas yesterday) and I am still waiting. Will keep you all posted.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
My first DD was diagnosed prenatally via FEC with three small VSDs (ventricular septal defects) or small holes between the left and right ventricles. The ped cardiologist we saw was an amazingly nice man (head of ped cardiology at Childrens in DC) and assured us that they would almost undoubtedly resolve spontaneously. They were in fact closed by the time she was 6 months old.

Heart defects are actually amazingly common, about 1 in 100 babies are born with some type of heart defect, and most of these are quite benign issues that resolve spontaneously. But I am very sorry you are going through this. I know how nervewracking it is!!!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
citymama said:
Thanks to all of you for your positive thoughts and wishes. I am trying to stay positive and focus on this new life growing within, but I am still anxious.
Oh, I would be that way, too.
I would absolutely be climbing the WALLS! Days last forever when you are preoccupied like that.

·
Registered
392 Posts
We're kind of in the same situation. My SIL was born with heart defects, so because it runs in the family we have a fetal echo scheduled.

Now, on a side note...we got our results from the quad screen test (1/27 chance of having a downs syndrome baby), so we had a level 2 u/s done and they saw a thicker valve in the heart they want checked out....so our apt is August 24.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by egoldber
Heart defects are actually amazingly common, about 1 in 100 babies are born with some type of heart defect, and most of these are quite benign issues that resolve spontaneously
One of my good friends was in this situation, but the baby was fine two months after being born, no medical intervention required.

Many
s to you, mama. I will pray that everything will check out fine.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom2Ellis
Now, on a side note...we got our results from the quad screen test (1/27 chance of having a downs syndrome baby), so we had a level 2 u/s done and they saw a thicker valve in the heart they want checked out....so our apt is August 24.
How scary.... I know exactly what you are going through. Our last pregnancy we had the quad done and it came back 1 in 45 chance of Down's. We had the amnio and it came back she did have Down Syndrome. When they did the 20 week level II scan, they found that she had a major Ventricular Septal Defect. It's common in baby's with Down Syndrome. There's a 97% success rate in the surgery to correct this. Our daughter didn't make it but that's rare. I'll keep you in my prayers and we'll hope for the best. The quad screen has a very high false positive rate and just because a baby has a heart defect doesn't mean it has DS. PM me if you need someone to talk to.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Let me clarify, my daughter didn't make it because she had the most severe case of Down Syndrome possible and developed Fetal Hydrops in utero, which was a direct result of the heart defect. She didn't survive long enough to have the corrective surgery. I didn't want you to think she didn't survive the surgery.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I'm sorry you're going through this. Praying it's nothing serious. My DD was born with a heart defect. We never had an u/s, so it wasn't till her 1 week visit that they heard a murmur and sent her in for an echo scan. WHat she has is really nothing serious for her. She's grown just fine without any procedures to fix it. All we do is take her in and make sure the pressure is still at a manageable level for her heart. As she grows it appears to be geting better. It seems that the pulmonary stenosis she has is actually quite common.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Rachel (hopeful1) my heart goes out to you. I'm so sorry to hear of Emily Grace. My mom lost a baby girl at birth, my only sister, and I know that you will always miss her dearly.

Abundant gratitude and thanks to all the wishes and thoughts. This board is truly amazing. I did speak with my OB last week and she had met with the head doctor in charge of the sonogram unit at the hospital to review the pictures. The concern is that there is possibly some holes in the ventricular wall and want to fetal echo just to be on the safe side. If there is anything at all, chances are it will resolve itself, but it would require some monitoring after the birth. Hopefully, all this worry is for nothing and that even if there is a concern it is something that will resolve itself.

Hugs to all.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts