Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the exact name for those bands they put around your belly during labor (this is my first so I've seen them in pictures but haven't seen any in person yet), and do they necessitate staying in bed? I know they're fetal monitors but I know there's a different kind you get if you have an epidural... right? (I don't think I want one of those...) I'm thinking about my birth plan at this point and would rather be able to walk around ... are those bands necessary?

Any other tips as to what to request to make moving and walking a real option during labor?

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
They are not necessary, in fact they are harmful. I don't know exactly how to avoid them except to refuse them. Ask them to do intermittent checking of the FHTs instead. Damn, now I can't think of the name of the EFM machine either
I should know it. . I had to put one on a woman on bedrest the otherday and I just called it hooking her up to the monitor. Damn. Continuous fetal monitoring, running a strip, This is frustrating not being able to think of the name of the thing, I'm sure someone will chime in in a second and say it. But it is harmful in many ways, it restricts your movement, is uncomfortable, and it doesn't improve outcomes of the health of mom or baby, all it does is increase the rate of c-sections and other interventions.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mara
They are not necessary, in fact they are harmful. I don't know exactly how to avoid them except to refuse them. Ask them to do intermittent checking of the FHTs instead. Damn, now I can't think of the name of the EFM machine either
I should know it. . I had to put one on a woman on bedrest the otherday and I just called it hooking her up to the monitor. Damn. Continuous fetal monitoring, running a strip, This is frustrating not being able to think of the name of the thing, I'm sure someone will chime in in a second and say it. But it is harmful in many ways, it restricts your movement, is uncomfortable, and it doesn't improve outcomes of the health of mom or baby, all it does is increase the rate of c-sections and other interventions.
Carmen,

, to what Kimberly said to you about this even though I haven't though this yet.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Mara is right,they are used to clock-watch your baby's heartbeat so they can turn round and say you need this intervention or your baby might die, I am sure heartbeats vary in intensity considerably especially during labour.And what about any drugs that have been given?Just another method to guiltrip us imo and keep us in bed. With my first they wanted me hooked up but I refused of course they narked on and on and on...so eventually I let the mw use an old fashioned trumpet thingy but she was so not dressed for a non-bed birth that she had difficulty bending down, sure enough she started harping on about babies heartrate not being too good which I just knew was rubbish and she threatened me continually that if I didn't birth this baby soon she would have to call the doc.I uc'ed after this.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by forthebest
Mara is right,they are used to clock-watch your baby's heartbeat so they can turn round and say you need this intervention or your baby might die, I am sure heartbeats vary in intensity considerably especially during labour.And what about any drugs that have been given?Just another method to guiltrip us imo and keep us in bed. With my first they wanted me hooked up but I refused of course they narked on and on and on...so eventually I let the mw use an old fashioned trumpet thingy but she was so not dressed for a non-bed birth that she had difficulty bending down, sure enough she started harping on about babies heartrate not being too good which I just knew was rubbish and she threatened me continually that if I didn't birth this baby soon she would have to call the doc.I uc'ed after this.
Carmen,

, to what forthebest said to you about this even though I haven't though this yet.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Everything I've ever seen says that intermittent monitoring works as well as those bands. Constant monitoring just makes it more likely you will end up with interventions.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Unless you are having an epidural or scary situation with the baby, any good hospital should not monitor you continously during labor. Our hospital has a belt that you wear that allows you to walk around. They check you a few times while you're in labor just to make sure everything is okay and during pushing even more, but it shouldn't be woman lying in bed unable to move because of monitor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts