Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is dd's second day having a fever (around 99-99.5 underarm, so I think you add a degree), and I am not sure what to do about it. She has never been sick, so I am really at a loss. I think her ears might be bothering her a little bit--she occasionally will cup one ear with her hand, and three weeks ago the doc said they were pink, but she was crying so I don't know whether that means anything. I've started taking some echinacea with goldenseal so that dd can get it through the breastmilk (that is what doc said to do) and I have also started squirting breastmilk in her ear (that is what some mdc moms said to do). DD has been pretty close to her usual self, but I was thinking maybe teething since she is cranky and on a potty strike (we ec), but she is not drooling or anything.<br><br>
Should I be trying to get her in to the doc? I kind of don't want to because I don't want to risk that she is going to try to give her unnecessary meds, but at some point I have to take her in if the fever doesn't go down, right?<br><br>
TIA,<br>
naismama

·
Registered
83 Posts
I personally prefer the rectal temp but most docs will tell you that it's not considered a fever until it's 100.4 if that helps any<br>
vicky

·
Registered
308 Posts
Truly, that is not a very high fever, and as long as the baby isn't horrendously uncomfortable/unhappy, I'd give it a few more days and see if it passes. It could just be some kind of low-grade virus, or teething. I would continue with the breastmilk in the ear on the "can't hurt, could help" principle, but I definitely don't think you need to go to the doctor after two days of that temperature.<br><br>
Just my opinion, not medical advice (disclaimer)!<br><br>
-Joan

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
It's ok!!<br><br>
Fever is the bodies natural and normal response to any thing that does not belong there. And the fever you are describing is very low, in fact my doctor would not even consider that a true fever. She may be a little hot from teething, I know my daughter would get a very low grade temperature like that sometimes.<br><br>
If she is actually sick the best thing is to sit back and let her body fight. You can go to the health and healing forum or the vaccination forum for ideas from people who know a lot more than I do. Just remember that her body is doing what it should, and any kind of fever is evidence it is working properly. You don't want to bring a fever down unnecessarily, it's how the body fights.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts