Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS is formula fed and has been since about 4 months (I exclusively pumped for the first few) anyway - he eats with Dh and I now, pretty much whatever we eat... my question is, he seems to only want one maybe two 4 ounce bottles a day now... but Dr. told me he needs to be eating more formula than that because its wear he gets all his nutrition from... is this true? Do I need to cut down on solids and feed him more bottles????

And BWT, should he be onto sippy cups by now?

·
Banned
11,133 Posts
If he is eating healthy and getting water/fluids, I don't understand why he would need more formula. Seems he would be healthier without formula.

http://www.drjaygordon.com/developme...supplement.asp

Quote:
Once dietary supplementation begins, the bacterial profile of breastfed infants resembles that of formula-fed infants in which bifidobacteria are no longer dominant and the development of obligate anaerobic bacterial populations occurs.
I think that is referring to food, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Babies should get most of their nutrition from breastmilk or formula for the first year of life. Breastmilk and formula are the densest source of calories. That means, ounce per ounce, they deliver more of the calories a baby needs to grow. Additionally, formula (and breastmilk of course) has all the vitamins and minerals a baby needs. No one solid food can provide that, and getting a combination of solids in the amounts needed to provide every nutrient is virtually impossible for a small child. They just don't eat that much! So making sure he gets enough formula really is important. Until one year, or even a little later, solid foods are really just for experimentation and learning about tastes and textures. Formula (or BM) are their main source of nutrition. HTH

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
He's almost a year I see. Has he been introduced to a whole milk source, perhaps goat milk? I think kiddos need a whole milk source until at least two years of age. If he's not drinking another type of milk, then that should be introduced and then wean from the formula.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Oh well, if he's drinking goat's milk that makes up for some of the formula he's not drinking!
Goat's milk won't have quite as many nutrients as a commercial formula (obviously manufactured nutrients), BUT it's probably more natural and healthy for him, especially if you can get it raw and/or organic. Is it whole goat's milk he's drinking? mamanurse is right that he needs a whole milk source (BM, formula, whole cow's milk, goat's milk, fortified soy milk) with plenty of good fats for at least two years for optimum brain development.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That makes me feel better... I never wanted to have to give him formula but after BFing didn't work out, I had to... glad that we can be over that now!

I know this is OT - but for the next baby I would really love to try again (Bfing I mean) but I have severe issues with it because of sexual abuse that occured in my past. I would love to get over it and I can think of no better reason than the health of my kiddo's... have you ever heard of this? Know of anyone who can help me with this particular issue? The reason I'm asking now is we may try again in another year or so and if (gag) therapy is involved I should get started ASAP...

·
Premium Member
6,263 Posts
Your DS should be getting most of calories from infant formula or breastmilk. Solids can wait until he's older. There are some who say that starting children on solids too early can lead to food allergies down the road. That's why we didn't start DD on solids until much later and even then it was just more for her to get used to the taste/texture rather than for nutrition. If I were you I would cut back on the solids completely and give him the bottle.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by muckemom
That makes me feel better... I never wanted to have to give him formula but after BFing didn't work out, I had to... glad that we can be over that now!

I know this is OT - but for the next baby I would really love to try again (Bfing I mean) but I have severe issues with it because of sexual abuse that occured in my past. I would love to get over it and I can think of no better reason than the health of my kiddo's... have you ever heard of this? Know of anyone who can help me with this particular issue? The reason I'm asking now is we may try again in another year or so and if (gag) therapy is involved I should get started ASAP...
I would probably seek out a counselor/therapist who specializes in sexual abuse cases and PTSD.

·
Premium Member
6,263 Posts
Quote:

Oh no... we we're posting a the same time... now I'm confused again.
:
Sorry, was I confusing you?

Are you planning on giving only goats milk from now on? Or, both goat's milk and formula?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
muckemom, just to clarify, if you combine the amount of goat's milk and formula he's drinking everyday, how much is that? From a quick google, it appears an 11 month old should have 24 to 32 ounces a day. Is he getting that much between the two?

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BookGoddess
Your DS should be getting most of calories from infant formula or breastmilk. Solids can wait until he's older. There are some who say that starting children on solids too early can lead to food allergies down the road. That's why we didn't start DD on solids until much later and even then it was just more for her to get used to the taste/texture rather than for nutrition. If I were you I would cut back on the solids completely and give him the bottle.

I don't necessarily agree with this. The one year age is a magically created age. Some kids are ready early (he's almost a year old) and some are ready closer to the age of 2. As long as his family eats a well-balanced diet with plenty of fruit/veggies/protein it should be ok to drop the formula.

If you feel like he might be lacking in vitamins or minerals such as iron, you can add that into his goat milk (sort of like making a homemade formula).

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by BookGoddess
Sorry, was I confusing you?

Are you planning on giving only goats milk from now on? Or, both goat's milk and formula?
Well, we still have a bottle together (we'll in his room) after bath time and while DH and I are reading his night time story to hime... but thats only 4 ounces????

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Quote:

Oh no... we we're posting a the same time... now I'm confused again.
:
IMO as long as he is getting 20+ ounces of dairy per day I wouldn't worry too much. I really don't think you can compare extended formula feeding with extended breastfeeding because formula is basically powdered milk, syrup and vitamins. I think it is healthier to get carbs through nutrient dense solids rather than syrup for a FF baby that is around 1 year old or older. If you can get him on raw dairy, that would be awesome(for your whole family too). There is a great raw milk formula recipe on the Weston A. Price site if you are concerned with him not getting enough carbs and nutrients on goat milk alone.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Everyone has given some good alternatives, but it sounds like even if you don't change anything you will be fine.

I too had to give formula to one of mine (long story, happened after I became LC! ) and I know how hard it was. Funny thing, I realized to feed with formula, both hands were full, while breastfeeding I had one hand free!

Anyway, sounds like he's getting alot of nutrition. Probably wouldn't hurt to cut back on the formula if you want, but he's not getting that much and if he likes it, no rush to get rid of it.

On your OT: There are therapists around the country that could really help. Offhand, I can't think right now, too many kids around
but look at some sites, maybe birthlove.com or something like that and maybe you could phone counseling with them.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
If he's eating a well-balanced diet of solids in addition to the goat's milk and formula, I'd say he's fine.

Most of the don't-feed-too-many-solids-before-a-year advice is aimed at people giving their kids nothing but jarred processed foods which do not have enough nutrition to replace formula for a young babe.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Quote:

Not an expert, but I would consider something like hypnosis or EMDR. EMDR is "eye movement directed reprocessing" and is sort of a newer therapy but is supposed to have very good results with processing and releasing trauma. I know a therapist who is EXCELLENT and very well respected particularly for her work with sexual abuse survivors. She has a private practice as well as working with the local center for sexual assault survivors (rape crisis center) where she teaches/supervises students. She practices EMDR and is involved I believe in research on it as well, and she advocates it. Your could look up some info on that.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Mama,

I've been through very similar things with breastfeeding and issues with past abuse. It's a really awful feeling, at least for me.
Try your resources, if you can. Have you been to therapy, especially more recently? I've heard great things about EMDR, if you can work up to it. You might even try LLL if you are comfortable enough to talk to someone about that, to see if they have any more resources for you. That's the best I can say, though I think the therapist would be your best bet (this coming from someone who still hasn't bitten that bullet yet... long story). You may have seen that we have a Surviving Abuse sub-forum, though it requires one year of membership and at least 500 posts to join, so unfortunately you have a ways to go.

Many hugs. I wish you all the best.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.