Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok 2 stupid questions:

what is the real functional diffence in MBTP and FIAR?? I have looked at them a little and they both -- to me -- seem the same -- but i have only looked at them on line.

and

does either of them have a lot of information about each book -- not the craft / discussion idea -- but actual background about when it was written, the author and so like --

kinda like a detailed intero to each book -- author bio, the histopry around the writing and so on ... THAT is what i ould be most intrested in finding.

The actual books i have or can get at the libary -- but i want a 'teachers manual' of sorts with a lot of background and so on on the autor and the books ...

thanks

Aimee

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
FIAR has some info about the book. We only did it for a few months in the fall, but most of the books talked about the time it was written and also touched on the things you might see in the pictures that were around at that time and are not or are different now.

ETA: I've only looked at MBTP online, but to me it looked different, with actual activity pages (i.e. worksheets, but not a ton) and included all the things you would need to do the lessons (i.e. things for science experiments) and also cost a lot more. They are both lit. based, but seem quite different to me. But I have not looked at the preschool level of MBTP.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Just from looking online, mbtp seems to have a lot more with it. It seems like fiar is just a teacher's manual with ideas for things you can do. I think you get some things to stick onto a wall map, too, but that seems about it. With mbtp you get activity sheets and it's all planned out for you. For many of the mbtp lessons there are two choices, one easier and one more difficult, so it would work if you have two kids close in age. The activity sheets look really basic and like they were done on the cheap, though, if that concerns you.

I'm ordering an mbtp concept, but I've decided to forego fiar, because it really doesn't look like anything I couldn't do on my own.

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so more or less they are both book lists

FIAR has fewer activities and they are all more labor intense (and many ideads you could come up with alone -- i remember last time i look BlueBerries for Sal had you making a adverstiment for blueberries as one activity ?)

MBTP has more work book / work sheet like activities alone with it?

WHich has more information about the books and the authors?

ANy idea?

I wonder how close the book lists are too.

Aimee

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
You can see the book lists on their websites.
They do have some of the same books. The concepts for older kids, 7-9 and up, come with lots of stuff besides just worksheets, too. The 5-7 group has some pattern blocks. One concept somewhere in there (but not the 5-7 group) has a model of the human ear. One comes with a scale. They come with a lot of stuff that you can see on their website. You definitely pay for all that stuff, though. It's expensive, although I personally think it's worth it, if it works for your kid. There's so much cool stuff!

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
i'm out of town and only have a second. i've used both. these 2 are totally different curriculum. MBTP does not utilize the same book over and over (at least not in the 5-7 concept). FIAR uses the same literature for 5 days in a row. MBTP has a student and teacher book. FIAR has a teach manual only, but many people use lapbooks or notebooking form HSS as well (www.homeschoolshare.com). Both curriculum are great... but they're different. If you have a specific question I'll try to answer.

hth.

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
TBH, reading the book 5 days in a row is one of the reasons we quit using FIAR. My kids just got bored with it. And they weren't really seeing the connections between what we were doing and the reading. It just didn't work for us, but it works for a lot of families.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.