Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am making my first soaker, and while I thought it was wool I was working with, apparently it is alpaca! (They are apparently put away in the same bag, and I didn't even realize it wasn't the same fibre til a few minutes ago!)<br>
I was going to ask what type of fibres/criteria, besides 100%wool hand-wash only, should be used for knit soakers. Now I am just trying to figure out if alpaca will end up working, or if I am better to frog it! (Oh, I certainly hope not!)

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
<span><b>I'm not sure as I'm just learning myself and trying to figure out how to knit my own soakers and with what, but isn't alpaca just a particular type of wool? Do you mean you're wondering whether it works as well as sheep wool? Alpaca is so lovely; it would be great news if you (and I!) could use it.</b></span>

·
Registered
451 Posts
I've knitted soakers from alpaca/wool blends, and my feeling is that 100% alpaca would work fine-- it might be softer and less durable than wool, but it should lanolize just the same. I bet that'll be a super soft soaker!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts