Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to use up skiens of yarn and my next project is a pair of slipper socks using two strands of worsted. Could I use 1 strand wool and one strand acrylic to make them more washable? The wool is briggs and little.

·
Registered
721 Posts
This is just a guess, because I've never tried it...

I think the wool would felt, leaving 'bumps' of the acrylic. I've seen patterns that call for a feltable yarn and a non-feltable yarn as an artistic effect. So maybe you could find a pattern for felted slipper socks and just add the acrylic to that.

How adventurous are you feeling?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gracefulmom View Post
This is just a guess, because I've never tried it...

I think the wool would felt, leaving 'bumps' of the acrylic. I've seen patterns that call for a feltable yarn and a non-feltable yarn as an artistic effect. So maybe you could find a pattern for felted slipper socks and just add the acrylic to that.

How adventurous are you feeling?

not very lol. I hardly ever finish a project, I normally knit one sock and never get around to the second. Knowing that the socks would proabbly be a waste would not help me finish a second sock,lol.
And people always ask me why my socks never match.

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
I don't think it will work either.
The wool will probably still felt. I think acrylic is added to wool socks to give them a little more stretch and durability, not to stop felting. You need superwash wool for that.

Good for you for getting your stash so low, though!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.