Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's awfully early. I've not met or interviewed a MW yet, though I've got a name and have spoken to her on the phone, but by golly I know where I want the pool.

It's a big deal to me. I want to squat, sit on a birth stool, get on my hands and knees and still be under water. That means I need more than 22inches of water, which is about all you can get with most birth pools. I'm short, so I need less than most women to do this, but 22 inches isn't more than a good start.

The deepest one I can practically count on being able to fill with hot water is HUGE. It's eight feet across, and allows 27 inches of water. I'll cheat and overfill it to make it even deeper. That's a lot of water and a lot of weight. I'd rather have something that is five or six feet across, even a narrow oval. It's the depth I want, not the extra space. The 12 footer is deeper, but I can't imagine being in labor, and filling anything that big, not and keep the water warm.

I've got a gorgeous wooded backyard. Overlooking it I've got a porch. It's overbuilt to take a huge jacuzzi. It's about 15x15. If I take most of the furniture out, and get rid of the fooz-ball table that we never use, I can easily fit a pool in. I'll have to plastic up the windows, which will mean I won't be able to fully enjoy the view. It'll be OK to fill, and easy to empty. The water can just tumble down the hill away from the house.

The trick will be insulating the room, as it'll be cold that time of year. Also getting that much water warm will be a challenge, but those are problems I can deal with. It'll give me something to focus on early in labor. I've wanted to turn that room into a three season room anyway.

Just wanted to share my excitement.

Kiley

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
I can probably beat that. We're building an extension to give me somewhere to give birth
OK, if I'm honest we're actually building an extension to give my FIL a decent sized downstairs bedroom and a bathroom that he can access (he's housebound and a wheelchair user) but that means that there will be a big wetroom that only gets used twice a day, plus the study. I'm happy- and so is FIL.
I don't know why I'm happy about this, mind, because water has never really got me excited in my previous labours. I think it has more to do with the fact that I can have a clearly designated and demarcated "nest" with no bloodstained duvets this time- hopefully, at least.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I live in an upper apartment and I am trying to figure out where to put the pool. The midwife said that it would be best to put it in a weight bearing corner, but I have no idea how to go about that we don't really have much spare room
:

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I have always wanted and never had a water birth, and when I think about the logistics of filling and emptying and the potential disaster of all that water flooding my rented house and being evicted and sued with a new baby, I want to just forget the whole idea!

That's where eighteen year old daughters come in handy.

We're going with the fishy pool and a decent electric pump for dd to set it up easier and I still need to understand a bit better how she empties it and keeps then water warm. I initially figured the kitchen since it won't fit in the bathroom, but then started thinking about what it's like around here in February sand now I'm thinking right in front of the fireplace and I keep picturing how nice it would be to labour at night in a tub of warm water by firelight.

Seriously, I have a nice hotsling and spare cariers in case that one gets wet, so the only reason why I couldn't help dd take down the fishy pool would be if I tore and I doubt if that's going to happen. I only tore with Phoenix, and not a serious tear at that, and I birthed allthree of my previous kids lying flat on my back in a bed which is ABSOLUTELY NOT GOING TO HAPPEN AGAIN.

dd overestimates the difficulty of clean-up after birthing in a bed, but that's okay; a bit of self-interest is fine if it keps me moving around and upright and not doing dangerous things to my body because "that's how they always show it on TV".

I also liked laboring on the toilet as sort of a makeshift birthing stool and think I can do it unashamed and without excuses without a midwife or other "authority figure" around. Miss Kiddo is exactly what I need in a "midwife", tbh, I'm just nervous about CPS.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Okay, this is probably a really stupid question, but since I am also pondering the idea of giving birth at home, here goes! How do you empty the kiddie pool after birthing? Do you use a hose and pump the water out?
Thanks,
Andrea

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mom2-3 View Post
Okay, this is probably a really stupid question, but since I am also pondering the idea of giving birth at home, here goes! How do you empty the kiddie pool after birthing? Do you use a hose and pump the water out?
Thanks,
Andrea
I have heard of one family going as far as having the dh empty it out with buckets, but I'm picturing more of a long hose and suction, sort of the same principle as emptying a fish tank.

·
Registered
673 Posts
We used a fishy pool for Coren's birth - they are VERY sturdy - the same fishy pool has been used for four births to date!

We use a Python No Spill to fill and empty our birth pool and it's GREAT! It attaches to your sink and depending on which way the switch is flipped, either fills or empties. Dh was able to suction some of the water out of the pool and put new, hot water into the pool without me even noticing during labor.

For C's birth I had the fishy pool in the dining room and will have it there again. It was perfect! The kids were able to choose whether to sit right next to the pool or on the stairs looking down into the pool. Z was a little unsure he wanted to be at the birth at first, so the stairs worked out great for him - it gave him a "way out" if things got too intense (which they didn't because the birth was so easy!).

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mom2-3 View Post
Thanks,
Andrea
I siphoned it out with a hose, through the window last time, though I didn't birth in the pool in the end, and stayed in my large bathtub.

Kiley

·
Registered
570 Posts
Sounds beautiful!

One midwife I interviewed mentioned someone giving birth in their outdoor spa. I have one of those but I am concerned about it being germy and not very private. I wish I could fit a tub in my bedroom, it'll have to be somewhere else.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by azyre View Post
Sounds beautiful!

One midwife I interviewed mentioned someone giving birth in their outdoor spa. I have one of those but I am concerned about it being germy and not very private. I wish I could fit a tub in my bedroom, it'll have to be somewhere else.
Oh, I'd totally do it in the spas, but first I'd disinfect it really well. Then I'd keep it dry and ready to fill just for the birth. Just being dry, (that would mean making sure all pipes and plumbing got emptied because bacteria can live in there) would go a long way. It doesn't need to be sterile, just CLEAN. No way is your spa ever going to be as germy as a hospital!!

In the spa you can sit, kneel, recline, stand, rock and so on. I think that's ideal.

Kiley

·
Registered
673 Posts
My dd had the idea of hanging her fairy bower from a hook in the ceiling in our dining room so that it hangs around the birth pool if I need privacy - we have a large one and I could rig it to be very tent-like (but round!
). Hmmm....

I'd LOVE to birth in a spa - I spent a lot of time in my parents' spa during C's pregnancy and could totally see myself birthing in one. As far as germs go - if you give it a good cleaning and it's just you using the spa, YOUR germs aren't a problem for the babe.

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mom3b1? View Post
Oh, I'd totally do it in the spas, but first I'd disinfect it really well. Then I'd keep it dry and ready to fill just for the birth. Just being dry, (that would mean making sure all pipes and plumbing got emptied because bacteria can live in there) would go a long way. It doesn't need to be sterile, just CLEAN. No way is your spa ever going to be as germy as a hospital!!

In the spa you can sit, kneel, recline, stand, rock and so on. I think that's ideal.

Kiley

We have a spa on the back deck and the mw mentioned it with ds...I just thought I could never get my friends and family to swim in it again if I gave birth in it
Plus, I like to stay indoors where I have less potential of scaring the neighbors with the noise!

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post
I already know where mine is going too!....in front of the woodstove....and I hope it is snowing that day too so I can see it falling on the pines at the same time

It doesn't snow here, but it does rain a lot in February and it gets cold and I just totally picture myself in that pool in front of the fire at night in the middle of a big storm, all nice and cozy and safe and warm. I love late winter/early spring babies! It just sems so natural to birth in our "dens" like bears or other wild animals and then have our new little ones ready to go outside and enjoy the spring when it gets here.

I have a fireplace insert that functions as a wood stove and I don't know why I didn't think about it on my own right of the bat. I guess it's still sinking in that this will be a winter baby and I need to give my own needs at least as much credence as the needs of the landlord or the house.

The kitchen and the bathroom just aren't as nice places as in front of the stove and honestly, a tarp over the hardwood floors should be fine; if that much water spilled on the linoleum, it'd wind up spilling onto the hardwood anyway.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ladies, This is my first pregnancy and I really would like to birth in the water. We have a very small, narrow old row house and with friends and family I want to be here, there really isn't another spot to have a tub.

I do have a really large, deep tub in my bathroom. My husband and I can both fit in it (he's 6'3" and I'm 5'9") with no worries.

What I'm reading here, as long as its cleaned properly beforehand that could be an option? Yes! Now I just have to figure out where in the world to put my rocking chair. That one actually kept me up the night before last!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by noordinaryspider View Post
I have heard of one family going as far as having the dh empty it out with buckets, but I'm picturing more of a long hose and suction, sort of the same principle as emptying a fish tank.
thanks!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayduh View Post
Ladies, This is my first pregnancy and I really would like to birth in the water. We have a very small, narrow old row house and with friends and family I want to be here, there really isn't another spot to have a tub.

I do have a really large, deep tub in my bathroom. My husband and I can both fit in it (he's 6'3" and I'm 5'9") with no worries.

What I'm reading here, as long as its cleaned properly beforehand that could be an option? Yes! Now I just have to figure out where in the world to put my rocking chair. That one actually kept me up the night before last!
I birthed that way last time. I had a birth pool, like the fishy pool people talk about, set up, but my tub was just as deep. There was no position I could get into in the pool that I couldn't get into in the tub. What I wanted was more depth, not more space side to side etc.

Kiley

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a fireplace insert that functions as a wood stove and I don't know why I didn't think about it on my own right of the bat. I guess it's still sinking in that this will be a winter baby and I need to give my own needs at least as much credence as the needs of the landlord or the house.

QUOTE]

I thought about putting mine in front of the fireplace too. It'll be cool that time of year, but probably not hot enough for a fire. We don't get all that much cold weather. I'm about to install wood floors in that room. I'm more worried about the kind of pool I think I'm going to get bursting and ruining the new floors. We'll see if I stick to the porch plan! If we have a very cold spring and I'm feeling very brave about the floors, I could choose the fireplace instead.

Kiley

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post
Plus, I like to stay indoors where I have less potential of scaring the neighbors with the noise!
LOL, my only neighbor close enough to maybe have a clue if she used binoculars, is 88 years old, and deaf! I might upset her little dog, and she could come over to find out what the dog was fussing about. That'd be funny. I don't think anything would shock her though.

Our rabbit will be mad about me using the porch. That's HIS spot, and my births are very long. It'll mean he has to miss play time for a day or two. He's been banished from free play in the house since he developed a taste for carpet. He didn't eat the nasty carpet downstairs that is being replaced either, he ate the good stuff upstairs. GRRR!

Kiley

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.