Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have a fairly easy question for those of you who've gone before me. My son is entering a 1/2 day kindergarten school next month. I am filing an exemption with the state and have since figured that part out with help from some of you here, and I thank you for that!

My question is what do I send with the registration form for school? A copy of what I filed with the state or just a letter stating we are exempt according to state law? I am thinking the letter is the most appropriate, but since we are entering school for the first time I wanted to check here first.

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kstsmith
My question is what do I send with the registration form for school? A copy of what I filed with the state

·
Banned
11,133 Posts
Also, the school might have another form that you need to just check the box and sign, but you don't have to do so.

I get so mad at the school system. I always say, "My kids are here for Education, not Medication."
: Can you tell I have issues with the whole 'School Nurse'
?

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I kwym. There's not a box, just a statement saying to attach the physical, birth certificate, and vaccination record. There is, however, a yes/no box that says "Can the school administer children's tylenol to your child?" I checked no. If my child is that sick or hurt, I live 8 minutes away and I'll come get him.

·
Registered
429 Posts
If your state asks for a sworn statement (mine does), you can attatch a copy of your sworn statement to the copy of your certificate the state gives you, and send THAT with the registration. You should always keep the original, and if they pitch a fit take the original in and let them make the copy themselves.

And, for the record, the nurse at the health dept. told me only the certificate was neccessary to be turned in, when it states right on the front that "a sworn statement is attatched" so be familiar with your state law and the language of the certificate.
good luck!

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Hmmm I have never had to file with the state. .In Maine I just had to fill out the part of the form saying I dont vacc and why "We dont believe in vaccinating" for ds to enter kindergarten. And for preschool (in New Hampshire) I didnt have to fill anything out. At the daycare i worked at in NH they had exemption forms the sate sent them to give to anyone who chooses not to vaccinate.

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
Eash state has different exemption procedures and requirements.

Kstsmith, we haven't spoken since you got your exemption - I can't remember if you said they asked for the name of the school. If so, it looks like the DOH may technicall send it to the school. However, I would submit a copy of the state-issued form with your registration paperwork regardless.

Arkansas DOH states:

Religious exemptions are issued for one year only and must be renewed at the beginning of each school year. These requests should be forwarded to the Director, Division of CD/Immunization, Arkansas Department of Health, 4815 W. Markham, Slot 48, Little Rock, Arkansas, 72205. Letters of exemption or denial will be issued to the school.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts