Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Typing quick before he wakes up...

Rough start on 5.20 emergency c section due to cord in knot.

I've fought to build to breastfeeding through syringe and finger feeding, pumping around the clock,
Etc.

So am happy to say last Friday he moved to primarily on the breast but we are still needing to supplement about 6-7 oz a day. I think I can just add 3 pumping sessions of 2-3 oz each for a few days or a week and that will do it?

I'm a first timer and thankfully my milk seems good. We just get to the point where he gets frustrated as do I and in order to keep at the breast time generally positive I supplement. Breast milk when I have it and formula when I don't. I'm very anti formula but we are and have had a tough time and I am grateful it exists to help us bridge the gap.

I had thought just letting him feed on demand since Friday would boost me up to what he needs but my nipples are sore and I can't take endless hours of nursing yet. I stopped pumping but am starting again today with the goal of pumping out the extra few oz we need in a 24 hr cycle.

Thoughts and prayers welcome.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hi there. I was in a similar boat to you about a month ago. DD had to go to the NICU since she was sick and she wouldn't latch, so I had to pump round the clock. She got supplemented also before my milk came in. Are you using a hospital grade pump? It makes a huge difference in output. Lots of skin to skin helped too and leaving your nipples exposed to air speeds up the healing process. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Hi Congratulations on getting your baby onto your breast!! What a wonderful first step forward!! but hang in there - we'll try and find a solution. I notice from your post that you mention that your nipples are sore, can you describe the pain, are there any cracks? etc.,

This technique www.biologocialnurturing.com may help you, it keeps you and baby relaxed, it can really do some great stuff, helps bb get a deeper latch and keeps you both in a good zen sort of place!! Hospital grade pump is a really good suggestion especially if you are working with a manual, that can really change things, the other thing I would like to recommend is breast compressions, which squirts the breast milk into bb, have a look at this video: http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=34:4-day-old-after-tongue-tie-with-compressions&catid=6:video-clips&Itemid=13

in fact you can look at all the videos just to see if there is anything else that reminds you of how your bb is nursing - it's certainly worth the look!! Hope that this has been of some help.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi thx for the replies. I have madela pump in style advanced. It's not the lactina they had in the hospital. I guess I could rent one for a while. I thought my pump was pretty good though.

We will be at 4 weeks Friday. The update is I am pumping after every feeding now. My nipples are holding up... no,cracks. Considering all the work they are doing... mostly 2 sides 15-20 min each then pumping... its a lot on my sensitive equipment. The right was more sore from the remnants of a first day marathon but in general they are doing ok and I think our latched are good, as do the lcs @ hospital.

So I feel like the pumping is helping some but not a lot. Not building supply as fast as is hoped. They say @ the hospital that he is feeding well, good form, gulps, etc and not to worry. Herbs are an option but are not necessary. They say I'm doing everything right and that things will even out.

I still end up in an emergency state 3 times a day where I'm empty for the most part and he needs 2 oz formula quick to satiate him. It's always frustrating as I will try to nurse myself empty (going 2 rounds on the boobs in hopes he will find what he needs but he will be mouthy and cranky and we sigh and say, let's mix up some formula and he chums it down.

I know lots if people would be satisfied with my situation but first of all I hate the pump and secondly I don't like the formula. I want to provide the food he needs. Also I plan on going back to work in August and I know I'm going to need to make more than he needs to build up a little bit of a stash.

I have looked Aaron the nbci site articles and videos.

Thanks for the replies. I know I'm on the right track.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.