Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I've been lurking on this board forever, have posted a few times in the distant past, but not too much. But now I wanna introduce myself and my SN DS so I can post more regularly.

Carter is 4 1/2. He was born big and healthy, no problems, except he started crying soon after birth and never, ever stopped. I was totally stunned; he was my third and I've cared for dozens (hundreds, probably) of babies as a nanny and child care provider and never, ever met a baby like Carter. He hardly ever slept and was inconsolable. He had lots of tests (medical, as well as a developmental eval) and was dx'd w/ hypotonia, gross and fine motor delays, and a speech delay at about 12 months. The 0-3 program here was apparently very overloaded because he never got any services; they actively discouraged us, in fact, and I let it happen because of course I kept hoping that things would magically improve. They exited us, and of course things didn't get better. Another developmental eval at almost 3 years old gave us dx's of spd and motor dyspraxia, but we still didn't get services.

At his 4 yo checkup, his ped encouraged me to seek a new developmental eval based on his sensory issues and since we're in a different system now, it went better. He's compensated for most of his motor issues, at least the gross motor ones, but fortunately his fine motor issues qualify him for services. (I say fortunately since they won't qualify him solely based on SPD, which is very clearly his biggest problem.)

So, finally, his IEP is this Monday. I can't believe that after all this time, he'll finally get to see an OT. His behavioral and emotional issues are pretty acute in some areas and I mourn the lost time, but that's behind us now, and of course he's still very young. I worry that he may be on the spectrum, though it may just be compensatory for the SPD, but he's quite rigid and ritualistic. At preschool, he's the baby in his class and his classmates (God bless those fabulous children!) all know his needs and quirks and work around them. They make sure to save his orange square on the carpet, where he MUST sit. They save his special spot at the snack table, never bother his block work, etc. His teacher is wonderful, too, always very gently nudging him to try to do things differently, but never pushing. Truly, his preschool has been a saving grace for us this year, giving me the break that I need, and helping him immensely.

Anyway, I'm not really going anywhere this, just wanted to introduce us. I'm kind of at sea here. My eldest children are just regular kids and I've never experienced anything like this. DS1 has auditory processing dysfunction, but a little special help at school and he's doing fabulous. In fact, he's exiting the special education system entirely this spring. Carter, though, has a list of troubles, what with asthma, allergies, and the behavioral/emotional stuff, and it's a whole new world of parenting. I feel like I have to learn everything from scratch, since you're average ways of parenting just don't work with him.
I thought I was a parenting wizard, what with my well-behaved, happy kids. Turns out, that's mostly to their credit, not mine! It's really a lesson in humility, isn't it?

OK, please excuse my rambling. I'm awaiting surgery (my second) for acutely painful endometriosis, and the pain medicine makes me, well... I guess you could call it stoned. Very dopey, at any rate, and chattery. I've already learned so much from you all, just by reading the posts for a coupla years. So thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
Welcome officially!
It makes me so upset to read how you didn't receive services. It is just so wrong.
But I'm glad you are getting help now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by uptownzoo View Post
Carter, though, has a list of troubles, what with asthma, allergies, and the behavioral/emotional stuff, and it's a whole new world of parenting. I feel like I have to learn everything from scratch, since you're average ways of parenting just don't work with him.
I thought I was a parenting wizard, what with my well-behaved, happy kids. Turns out, that's mostly to their credit, not mine! It's really a lesson in humility, isn't it?
Oh boy it is! I wish my friends with typical kids could even get a sense of this. I know that if I had two Caleb's (my typical) I would be right there thinking my parenting was responsible!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.