Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i've got a few more questions before i narrow this down...

1. I think i will get 2 dozen infant prefolds and 1 dozen premi... what do you think my first two kidos were 9lbs 1oz. and 9lbs. 2 oz. at birth???

2. If i get about 2 fitted diapers will i fall in love and only want to use them (i'm really tight buget and need to use prefold most of the time)... and if i do buy a few fitted diaps what kind are chepest and best???

3. For the covers... bummis wisper pants are chepest i've seen but are the comfuy for baby and is having to pull them up a pain on a baby?
Prorap covers are chep alos... do they work as well as bummis snaps???
What's the diff in snaps and velcro???

4. For night time use... is wool the best there is... could i buy 1-2 aio for night time??? What's best and how many do i really need to last??

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
My kids were all 8-9lb at birth. I didnt know the virtues of prefolds for the first two, but I got about 9 months use out of our infant prefolds on Eliza. I trifolded them in a wrap though, I didnt snappy them on. I could only snappy them till 4 or 5 months. I dont know that you'd actually need the preemi's would you? You could get by without them, but I guess they're not going to break the bank either. When Eliza was tiny I had about 8 covers - some were gorgeous Australian covers - but I also had what I now know were re-tagged Nikky covers and they were just great. I actually used them with terry washers folded in half - 2 or 3 was fine for us, so I didnt actually buy preemi prefolds. I did that till about 8 weeks then went to infant prefolds in small covers. As she grew into medium covers, I simply folded the prefolds the other way (long ways, rather than crossways). I could still do that except that an infant prefold is no longer enough absorbency. I also had some small proraps and they were very good, as well as small Bumkins covers which suited us very very well. Bummis are good covers, I just dont care for them because I think they're plasticky and very uncute. Eliza has one and I think it would be a pretty comfortable cover, the cut is good.

As for the fitteds, Im no expert on fitted's. I actually prefer a trifolded prefold to the fiddliness of fitteds on a small baby, but you may love them, plenty do. But to be honest, I cant see the point of two lone fitteds, kwim? I think you'd want enough for a day's use - depending what you plan to use them for. If you want to keep it inexpensive, I wouldnt bother buying two. Why dont you wait till your baby gets close to outgrowing the prefolds and then try a couple of different ones? If you want fitted's I think I"d buy a dozen or so. But beware - this is what I started doing, and um, lets just say Eliza's medium stash is WAY more expensive than her newborn stash was. You have been warned, LOL.

AIO's - well I love aio's but I wouldnt call them the most absorbent choice for night. But as you're going to be changing your baby at night for a while, it might be easier to have 3 or 4 - probably in the middle of the night front aplix would be easiest. Once you're baby is sleeping through or you stop changing overnight, I really think you cant go past a hemp fitted and a wool cover - for baby's comfort and dryness.

Hope that helps, but you'll probably get a dozen differing opinions, LOL.

·
Banned
1,651 Posts
I would go with some Indian infant prefolds, if you can afford to get a few extra; granitesmith on ebay has them at a good price. They are just so soft, and you will get a lot of pleasure from using them. Also look at some pictures of different folds (www.punkinbutt.com has great pictorials) so you can minimize blowouts of poop when snappi-ing them on. I personally love Bummis pants, and find them very soft and leaving almost no marks, which i can say about almost no other covers; babies r us also has some excellent nylon covers that are very durable and even cheaper than the Bummis. I have quite a few little fitteds for the next new bum to be diaepred at our house, but i know i will enjoy using the simple little prefolds very much, too
. Oh, and i might look into some hemp doublers, or even try making some terry ones yourself, just in case you end up with a heavy wetter.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I'll chime in with my $.02... Random thoughts... DD was 8 lbs, 4 oz, and had grown out of infant prefolds by 2 months (I just couldn't snappi them around her buddah belly anymore), although at 5 months I can still trifold them in a wrap. I don't know what you would get out of premie size. If you go with all prefolds, I'd spring for an extra dozen. And get unbleached - they are SO much softer than bleached. I don't have any experience with Indian PFs.

I agree with Jachut about the fitteds. Having 2 you'll either find youself using all prefolds and never using the fitteds or you'll use the fitteds and then wish you had more. I do think that wool at night is an amazing thing, but as long as your baby is pooping at night, you'll probably want fitteds under your wool. So maybe you want to think of your fitted stash being for nighttime - that's a way to keep the madness under control
. When DD was younger, I loved
Puddlecatchers Nighttime Fleece diapers under a LANA soaker. It was an amazing combination and I never had a BF poo leak with the Puddlecatchers. They're so soft and being fleece lined baby stays dry.

About covers - I used Proraps with CPFs when DD was a newborn and the Proraps worked great - very soft. I bought seconds ($3 ea), which made them very economical. Now that DD is older, I use Bummis prints (velcro) and really like them with a trifolded CPF if we're not doing fitteds and wool.

About AIOs at night - LOTS of mamas use FuzziBunz at night with great success. I haven't used them myself because I found a fitted/wool combo that works for us.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
We have Bummis and Proraps, all velcro (have never seen a snap one, to be honest). They both have advantages. The Bummis have a nice bit at the front to tuck the trifolded prefold into so that it doesn't get exposed at the front, which sometimes happens with my proraps. However, the proraps have leg gussets, which I really like for keeping things dry at the legs, and keeping in poop. I also have a Nikky wrap, and a Bumpy Day wrap--both of those have gussets as well. They cost more though. I got all of mine second hand, and all work perfectly, even though some of them look like they have seen a lot of use!
All have cute prints on them, except the proraps, which are all white. But, you know, sometimes the simplicity of white is cuter on DS than all the rest

Alison

·
Registered
649 Posts
I got a dozen preemie pf for my baby, but I am expecting a babe of 7.5 lbs or less. I personally wouldn't get preemie pf if I were you unless you also plan to use them later as doublers or whatnot.

I also did get the bummis whisper pants for my babe. They are very light and seem comfy. I don't think pulling them up will be a problem for me, I didn't have a problem pulling up shorts or pants on DS when he was a newborn, and I don't see it being any different.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
274 Posts
becca011906 said:
1. I think i will get 2 dozen infant prefolds and 1 dozen premi... what do you think my first two kidos were 9lbs 1oz. and 9lbs. 2 oz. at birth???

I had big babies too and the infants fit for a long time (perhaps not snappi'd or pinned but trifolded, yes). Preemies are probably not necessary but they do make great doublers and spit cloths. In fact I still use them and ds is 13 mos.

2. If i get about 2 fitted diapers will i fall in love and only want to use them (i'm really tight buget and need to use prefold most of the time)... and if i do buy a few fitted diaps what kind are chepest and best???

Forget about the fitteds.... if you are on a budget prefolds are the way to go. Why possibly tempt yourself?

3. For the covers... bummis wisper pants are chepest i've seen but are the comfuy for baby and is having to pull them up a pain on a baby?

Whisper pants are good but I like the option of NOT pulling them down the legs. I like proraps in all sizes except smalls (that size fit funky for my little one) and I love bummi sww's in velcro. You get a better fit in velcro than snaps, imo.

4. For night time use... is wool the best there is... could i buy 1-2 aio for night time??? What's best and how many do i really need to last??

NIghts - at first I just used the prefolds since I was up and changing the baby anyway. Perhaps with a preemie pf as a doubler. I just used bummi or proraps as covers. As your baby gets older you could try wool (I never have) but I don't think Aio's are what you are looking for for nights. If you got a few wool covers you'd probably be set.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I just had my daughter 2 weeks ago (7lbs. 9oz. at birth, 8lbs., 9oz. now) and I have been using infant UBCPFs and small Bummis ISWW on her since birth. I bought 6 Prorap newborn covers but I just couldn't get them to fit well without major time spent fiddling with tucking the prefolds in. I hated those Proraps and only used them for one day and am now selling them hoping to give them a home where they will be more appreciated. The Bummis are terrific. I have never had a leak from any cloth diaper, but today I put DD in a sposie to go to the pediatrician and that leaked instantly all over her outfit. Sure sold me on cloth!

For nights I am loving Fuzzi Bunz (the smalls fit DD great)! Yes, they are pricy, but they are so worth not having to worry about DD's bottom getting sore from sitting too long in wet. I have been using just one Joey Bunz as a stuffer, but I am going to move up to two (I only have 3 JBs so I have had to order some more). I also have a Patchwork Pixie wool jersey cover that I absolutely LOVE! It is very soft and stretchy (and pretty to boot!) I haven't tried it overnight, but it sure does a good job during the day.

One word of warning, you will go through tons of diapers at the very beginning. I was washing all of my dipes (36 CPFs) every day for the first week. We have slowed down a bit now but I still need to do laundry every day mostly because my 4 Fuzzi Bunz need to be washed so they are ready for the night.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
My guy was 9lbs 5 at birth (my first too, yikes!)
Preemie prefolds worked on him in a wrap. I'd go with a newborn sized wrap though, because the smalls were too "loose" to do a prefold effectively.
Kissaluvs size 0 fit him fairly well for a good long while, so don't be afraid to buy newborn fitteds.
DO however buy small covers for the fitteds, because the newborn wraps I had (prowraps) did not fit over the KLs effectively. They leaked because it didn't cover the entire diaper.

I liked my bumpy (imse vimse) best for Corran at birth, because altho they run large, the small could be adjusted to fit wonderfully over the fitteds. It has a huge belly panel of velcro so you can somewhat adjust the rise

I had prowraps which were OK, and you can get seconds from them for super cheap.
I had a green earth (Small) which I didn't care for, but it's identical to a prowrap.
A bummis, which I liked, and was by far the most "waterproof" cover, and you can overlap the tabs which would be good for a larger newborn, so you can go with a small.

If you want to do a AIO type diaper, i'd suggest a pocket. Fuzzibunz fit him well a couple weeks after birth (didn't try them before) but are supposed to be 7-15lbs...they work very well, esp for watery newborn poo. the fleece and elastic keeps the poo inside

Wonderoos (one size pocket) are supposed to be 8-35lbs, and I tried them when Corran was roughly 10.5lbs, and they fit wonderfully and I didn't need the cross snaps even. Thicker through the crotch because they are one-size, but still trim if you use a lighter weight insert. The leg elastic doesn't work GREAT for thin legged babies, but my guy being 9lbs had nice chunky thighs and they were PERFECT. suedecloth also grabs the poo well. The leg elastics don't LOOK like they will hold in runny poo, but i've never once had a leak with them!

Uhhh...what else...
With a 9lb baby (he was super long too, 22inches at birth!) none of my 0-3mth clothes would fit over a CD, we ended up using sposies for a couple weeks until he was about a month old. We did however used cds during this time, just not 24-7. The gowns were best for cding our newborn. He was too long for his 0-3s even with a sposie really...couldn't snap the crotch with a cd!
With my second baby, i'll probably keep all my new sleepers (I had like 10 brand spanky new ones, and he outgrew them at 4weeks...so they are mint still) and buy a couple more gowns (we had 7 i think) and use those mostly...lol.

Wool, I wouldn't buy in a small/newborn. I'd wait awhile on that. You don't want explosive babypoo on your wool...and he or she will outgrow it quickly and wool is $$. I'd buy a medium. I did that and it worked wonderfully. he was in his medium around 3mths of age, and he's 5mths and he's still in them

buy a um...baggyfit wool cover (like kiwipie, where it's elastic around legs and waist, not "fitted" like a fuzbomb) and you should be able to use it very early on...he was on the second settings for his kiwi at 3mths, so I could have used it much earlier!
Kiwis are trim, but you can wear them "baggy" as opposed to a more fitted cover with gussets etc. if that makes any sense...lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by becca011906
Ok, i've got a few more questions before i narrow this down...

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I agree that you probably won't need the preemie prefolds. My daughter was 8 lbs, 13 oz., and infant pfs worked just fine. For the first month, I almost exclusively used the pfs with prorap seconds in the newborn size. Call 1-800-397-8594 to buy seconds directly. She's outgrown them now (she's two months), and I'm glad I didn't splurge on expensive newborn covers. Although I must say we went through about seven covers every wash (I wash every 2-3 days).

Now, I'm loving my small litewraps. They have great gussets (easy to tuck the prefolds into) and have plenty of room, but nice and trim (I'm partial to trip diapers!) They run about $7, so not too pricey! I have a bummis with snaps and one with velcro, and they work pretty well, too, but run a little smaller.

If you must have fitteds, maybe try the SugarPeas size 1s?? I have several now, and they hold in the bf poo great. Not to mention should last you a good long time.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I think you would be happier with 3 dozen infants. They get changed a lot! With 2 dozen you will be washing every day. With three dozen you can go every other. Don't tempt yourself with fitteds if you can't get more.

The BSWW worked better for us. The proraps velcro wears our faster. 6-7 covers in each size would be better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.